Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My New Year’s Writing Resolution by Joanne Walsh

At the last meeting of the writers’ group I belong to, the members were agreed: share our New Year’s writing resolutions and then our progress through the coming year.

I’ve always liked the concept of New Year’s resolutions but I’ve never been very good at keeping them, mostly because I tend to throw myself into new things with huge amounts of enthusiasm and then find I can’t keep up the pace or the interest; either I become distracted, or dispirited because life inevitably gets in the way.   

The resolution I really need to make for 2016 is to write regularly, as I want to complete at least two new novels by year’s end.  I’ve got the ideas, I just have to find the means to keep the passion flowing!

I’ve taken a look at the advice that’s out there about keeping resolutions, and the consensus is that you need to do the following things to succeed: focus on one goal; take small steps; have a mechanism of accountability; celebrate success; work on changing thought and behavior patterns.


So I am resolved to write for 30 minutes a day, every day, with email and every other intrusion shut off.  First thing every morning. I will be accountable to my friends in my writer’s circle, and they will be my fellow celebrants.  I will train my brain to adhere to this routine of application and reward.   Will I stick to this?  Watch this space!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love how you set up your resolution as a true goal. Having your action plan and accountability in place, I can see you accomplishing it. Happy New Year!