Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Christmas tree of memories by Michelle

This past weekend saw one of my fave parts of Christmas — the annual decorating of the Christmas tree. I save my ornaments and each year add one or two more. I don’t rotate the ornaments but the tree is definitely more tightly packed than it was a quarter century ago. it is a real tree of memories and I wouldn't want it any other way.
My daughter and I chose the tree — short and fat this year instead of tall and narrow. We did it quickly and with the minimum of fuss. According the lady who sold us the tree, she had already had several warring couples in that day, including one who had nearly come to blows. It is important to get the right tree, but it is only a tree, the back drop to the ornaments.
The tree was duly put up and then we discovered a slight h
iccup. I change my lights every three years because a neighbour once suffered a tragic fire from faulty lights. This year was a change year. My daughter wanted tasteful Victorian lanterns. I went for the chilli pepper lights. I think they were really for a kitchen but I liked them. My husband agreed with me (so much that I am supposed to get another strand for the kitchen!) My husband always grows tons of chillis so the lights were appropriate. The red colour also looks great on the tree. However the lights are in a continuous loop. This made putting them on to the tree slightly tricky.
Once the lights were up, it was time to put the ornaments on. I was relieved to see that the ornaments had survived. No mice attacks or water damage or dropped baubles.  The oldest ornament is probably a choir boy covered in feathers that dates from when I was a little girl. This year because my mother was over, I was able to show off the ornaments and we had a remanence about Christmases past.  I also unwrapped the china mice which date from my first tree of married life. There is a Harry Potter owl from when HP dominated the children’s conversation and the spray painted walnuts from our first year at the current house. My sister sent her customary new ornament – this time a wooden mushroom. I reckon it makes 27 ornaments from her. She apparently spends a long time trying to find the right ornament. However, she always says she doesn't want another ornament as her tree is too full. This year, though, I have sent her a sheep. After all in my world, you can always find somewhere.

My Christmas tree might not be perfect, or expertly decorated but it is decorated with love and full of good memories. It is all I can ask for.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year.


Michelle Styles writes warm, witty and intimate historical romance in a wide range of time periods. Her most recent  Summer of the Viking was published in June 2015. You can learn more about Michelle and her books on www.michellestyles.co.uk 

2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

Merry Christmas!

denise

Mary Preston said...

You can't see our tree for ornaments & every one is precious.