Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

A Rose by Any Other Name . . . or Who's Your Heroine? :: Anne McAllister

I need you!  Again!

A couple of years ago I was scouting around for names for characters and I tossed out a challenge to readers of this blog and another one I was writing for at the time, and said, "I need a name for a heroine" because for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what this woman's name was.

I knew lots about her, but I didn't know her name. And she wasn't inclined to tell me.

Well, here I am again -- same problem.  So if you wouldn't mind, could you put on your thinking caps or your 'name the baby' caps and give me some more suggestions.

This heroine now lives in small town Montana, but she grew up in New Mexico. She is half-Navajo and something else.  Not sure what.

She's close to thirty, and she has yet to tell me if she's been married or not.  (Close-mouthed, wouldn't you say?).  She is a weaver, both loom and hand -- a fabric artist who has made a name for herself in the art world.

And once upon a time she may have had a thing for my hero. They seem to have a bit of history. At least I know that much.  He may have been a friend of her brother's way back in their high school or early college days. Now he's a widower with two young children,  home from the big city to make a life in the area where he grew up, the one place he was sure he'd never live again.

He's Clint McCullough, brother of the hero of my book, Last Year's Bride, which was out this past summer. I know a lot about Clint, but he isn't telling me this woman's name, either.

I suppose I could just put "Heroine" in when I start to think about her. But having a name really helps.  So if you have a suggestion -- or three or four -- I'd be very grateful.  If one of them resonates with me -- and with my heroine -- you can count on a dedication (and a copy of the book in e-format when it comes out next year.)




illustration credits:
1) red rose: wikimedia commons: creative commons license
2) Bridger Mountains: via Wikimedia Commons http://www.flickr.com/photos/23165290@N00/9315591779/ |Author =Tim Evanson |Date =2013-07-07 |Permission granted under C.C. License]
3. Last Year's Bride: WishngTreeStudio: Marie Schenck. [used with permission]


10 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

Okay, this makes no sense, I'm sure, but I have to go with Rosie. And Rosie had a little brother or sister who always called her Rosie Red Rose. Good luck, because even if you don't know her very well yet, I certainly do. :-)

Liz Flaherty said...

And to add to this...differentness, as I'm writing this, there is a rosy red sunset going on. Even I'm starting to feel strange, since Rosie Red Rose, the original, was my granddaughter's cat. However, I hadn't thought of her (the cat, not my granddaughter) in years.

dstoutholcomb said...

Mariah is a nice name, but if you're looking for authentic Navajo, here's a website I found: http://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-american-indian-names/navajo-names.htm

Denise

dstoutholcomb said...

I liked Doli which means bluebird.

Anne McAllister said...

Hi Liz,
Thanks! I'll be keeping Rose/Rosie in my mind while I'm considering the story. I'll post another blog when I finally decide. Thanks for your thoughts -- and I'm glad you got to think about your granddaughter's cat again, too.

Anne McAllister said...

Denise,
Thanks so much for sending the website link. I have looked it over and I'm thinking about some of the names. I suspect she's probably got a "regular" name (as in "not" Navajo), but who knows? She may surprise me yet. Heroines do that sometimes. Doli is a cool name. Will think about it.

Mary Preston said...

The first name that popped into my head was JACINTA.

dstoutholcomb said...

it's your story, I'm sure you'll choose something fitting!

Anne McAllister said...

Now there's one I haven't thought of, Mary! Thank you. I'll toss it into the pot and see who she turns out to be. Much appreciate the suggestion.

Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Denise. I certainly hope something bubbles up! Appreciate the suggeestions.