Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Art of Acknowledgement

by Joanne Rock


I was reading something in the Guardian online yesterday and got tugged into reading an article called- excuse the somberness- regrets of the dying. Now, that’s not normally something that would get a double click from my mouse, but there was a sweet picture of a wrinkled hand holding a strong, youthful one and the emotional author in me was hooked. I had to take a peek to make sure I wasn’t going to have any regrets on my way out. You can guess most of them—I shouldn’t have worked so much, I should have followed my dreams—but one that really caught my attention was a wish to have kept in touch with old friends.

Writers are fortunate to have a secret, powerful weapon that helps them do just that. Not many other professions encourage “acknowledgements” each time you finish a piece of work, but upon completing a novel for publication, writers are asked to recognize the people who have helped them on their journey. Every time I’ve penned a dedication, I’ve thought about how lucky I am to be able to publicly reflect like this.

From The Wedding Audition by Catherine Mann & Joanne Rock
It’s a huge treat for me, for one thing. It nudges me to be introspective for a few hours and really think about who has helped me to come up with an idea or who inspired me to write. I’ve acknowledged high school English teachers, bloggers, other writers, family members and yes… old friends. I’ve penned dedications to women who cheered me on personally and professionally, girlfriends who cheered me up when life got too difficult, and mentors who showed me how to do things better, faster or more efficiently. People who’ve made an important impact on my life and my happiness.

I also like to think this tradition is a treat for the people who are recognized. Actually, I can attest that is an honor because I’ve been named in friends’ books as a helper in the story process and it always makes me walk a little taller. Plus, it touches my heart to be valued that way, and to have a friend use that limited space to give a shout out to me. When my first book came out and I mentioned my English teachers in the dedication, I had fun sending them a copy of my debut along with a letter telling them how much they inspired me. I hoped that my enthusiasm would help make up for the fact that some kids occasionally yawn in their classes (who could yawn during a lesson on the Romantic Poets??) and it was just plain fun.

Win my June release!
Knowing how cool it’s been to send out acknowledgements into the world, I guess I wanted to share the idea with anyone who hasn’t written a book and had the thrill of penning a dedication. You can still write a letter to tell someone who inspired you that you still remember their awesome contribution to your life. That their words meant a lot to you or helped you grow, change, see the world a little differently.  Your old friends, mentors, teachers or family members will be touched to be recognized, and the joy you spread will sure make you smile too.

***Who came to mind right away when I mentioned someone who has inspired you? Share with me this week in the comments and I'll send one random commenter a copy of my June Harlequin Desire release, Rancher in Her Bed

9 comments:

Susan N said...


Well certainly you always inspired me my entire life, I can remember being overwhelmed every summer you had a stack of books on topics to learn more. My kids have inspired me as well, each have over come their own disability and made the best of it. Certainly I have had teachers that have also inspired me to become better and exceed expectations. Above my desk at work is a saying one of my favorite math teachers ad, "Good better best, never let it rest until your good is your better, and your better is your best".......

Joanne Rock said...

Susan, you made my day... there aren't many people in my life who would remember those days that I carted all those books home from the library every summer! I looked forward to that big haul so much, having big, beautiful books at my fingertips for weeks on end to read and peruse because I *wanted* do and not because they were assigned reading. Thank you for sharing a happy memory with me. You inspire me too, in the same way your mom always has. I've long admired your seemingly peaceful, joyful attitude no matter what life throws at you. I know that's a choice you make, and it isn't one that comes easily, but it is beautiful to be around :-). xo

Anonymous said...

The person who inspires me is my oldest daughter. She has had 3 open heart operations, with the last one being the dr. had to replace a valve. We weren't expecting it at the time. She had the surgery when she was 22 and today she turns 40 !!! She is my inspiration thru and thru. She is quite often my mini me. We both love so many of the same things from Build A Bear to music, tv shows, to pizza! Pam Hamblin

Kathleen Richardson said...

Mrs.Wilkerson. She always gave me really good grades on my romantic stories. Funny thing is that at that time I read lots of romance comic books and would model my stories after them. They were all pretty much the same in the early 60s.

Laney4 said...

I didn't see YOU carrying those books all summer, but *I* was also lugging them around for my own interests. In fact, one summer was spent in the reference section of my local library, where I did my own Christopher Columbus project (and I'm in Canada!!!).

I wrote a letter many decades ago thanking a former neighbour for being such a big influence in my life. She hired me to babysit her two kids ... then got me my first summer job at a local farmers' market where I took their entry fees and bought them coffee/donuts ... which led to her being a reference on my CV ... and the insurance company owner was a Kiwanis volunteer and knew my neighbour who was in the Kiwanis Club too (in a different town) ... and then the finance company manager was the president of HIS local Kiwanis and knew my neighbour ... and while working at that finance company, I met my now husband of 38 years. And I attribute/attributed my place in life to that neighbour, all those years ago. She loved getting the letter.

Mary Preston said...

My sister leads the most adventurous life. Her nursing credentials take her all over the world. Not only an inspiration, but lots of fun too.

dstoutholcomb said...

My friend Pooks and my friend Jane have really given me some inspiration and kind words over the past year.

denise

Joanne Rock said...

Elaine, that's a great story :-). It's wonderful to see how kindness snowballs that way, affecting people long afterward!

Joanne Rock said...

***Winner - Kathleen Richardson, congratulations to you!! All you need to do to claim your book is message me at jrock008@gmail.com with a mailing address and I'll send it your way asap! Thank you all for visiting!