Pages

Monday, May 27, 2019

Season of Change and a Day of Remembrance

by Joanne Rock

Today, as those of us in the US remember those who died while serving their country, I'm spending time with my oldest son who lives far from home. A nice benefit of Memorial Day for many of us is the long weekend and the possibility for some extra family time.

We are moving this summer, so I'm sorting through things to give to my boys who are living on their own. I'm contemplating what to do with all the winter clothes now that I'll be spending most of my time in a warmer climate. And I'm really wondering how to fit a whole life in a 27 foot moving truck.

It's been a long time since I did a full-scale move. Although I've hopped back and forth between Florida and New York for the past few years, I haven't truly uprooted since 2002. That's a lot of years for things to accumulate. I don't worry about packing the kitchen or the bedrooms. But places like the attic and basement, where things have been quietly accumulating, are going to be packing nightmares.

I've given myself two weeks for the project, but that might be optimistic given the book-in-progress that needs to be finished. I'm excited to be writing my own six-book series for Harlequin Desire starting in November 2019. The book that's due next is the fourth book which will release in March 2020.

It's a season of change and a day of remembrance. The combination makes me remember how lucky I am to have the chance to make big changes and move forward, no matter how hectic the pace. Don't forget to observe a moment of silence at 3 pm today to remember and honor those we've lost.

**Have you moved recently? Will I survive the mayhem? And how many boxes will I need for this sprawling house?! Share with me any words of wisdom this week and I'd be thrilled to send one reader an advance copy of my June Desire, RANCHER IN HER BED.

13 comments:

Angela Crockett said...

It's been a very long time since I have moved but I am constantly updating and adding new pieces into the household. It's very hard to get rid of items that have meant so much to you in the past. With the exception of a few "I wish I still had that" moments, I havent had a lot of regrets. I am sure you will do fine.

heatherplg said...

Wow, moving is always a chore but a good start on a new adventure. I haven't had to move in 21 years, but me and the hubs are looking for a new house this summer so the time is coming. You are doing what I will be doing, making piles.. my pile, my sons pile to choose from and donate pile.. I'm sure it will all work out for you!! good luck!

Amy Ikari said...

Happy Monday! It has been a long time since we moved but moving is both a time for joy and mourning. It is exciting and it is sad. Sorting what to take, what to give away and what to throw out can be stressful. ❤️

CL Breese said...

I have moved MANY times and am still unpacking from my recent move to CO. If it is important to you, pack it yourself! We hired movers this time because I had to be here before the house moved and I can't even begin to tell you the horror of this company. They truly threw things in boxes-half used bottles of liquid, with towels, with cosmetics....so much broken. They put books in boxes at angles to fit them all in so many are really warped.
I always pack a "OPEN FIRST" box-with towels, sheets, tp and stuff you need the first night or so-that way you don't have to unpack everything just to take a shower. The take home is use paper to stuff empty spaces, and make the boxes light enough to lift.

ptclayton said...

Happy Monday Memorial Day! Please leave me out of the contest but as busy as you are used to being I would say YES you of all people will survive the move. I don't envy you although as I hate to pack and unpack. Some people love it I am not one of those people. I wish you luck and I will have to get your new address ! Hugs Peggy clayton ptclayton2@aol.com

Shari said...

We moved 13 years ago, this is the longest we have stayed in the same house. I would hate to think about moving again, we are pack rats! I wish you the best in your move!

Beverly S said...

Depending on how far south you move in Florida, I wouldn't get rid of the winter clothes. Daytona area climate doesnt moderate as much as north florida. North Florida can have temps in the teens and wind chill lower sometimes. Yes, I believe you will survive the move... Tired and sore but you will survive. I did and I moved a year ago.

Eileen AW said...

I don't want to think about packing up and moving. I haven't moved in 32 years so you can imagine all the stuff we've added to our household in that time. Good luck to you and your relocation.

dstoutholcomb said...

I haven't moved since 2002, and I only had two boys then, so I can't help you much.

Can you fit everything into a 27ft moving trailer? Yes. It's amazing how much can fit in those moving vans when everything is boxed.

I'm not usually a Konmari method person, but this might be the time to use a little bit of her system. Family mementos are probably keepers--photos and related treasures. You live in Florida now, just pick a few favorite cold weather items you might need and consider donating the rest. If it didn't bring you joy in the past, it probably won't bring you joy in the future. If someone gave you something you really don't like, but you're holding on to it because that person gave it to you, you are under no obligation to keep it. My mom gives me stuff all the time I don't want/need. I've learned to say thank you, take it home, and donate or give it away. If there's art on the walls you loved in the 90s, but it doesn't fit your lifestyle in FL, you don't have to take it with you.

Unlike the normal Konmari method, I don't think you have to hold each item and thank it; look at it and decide to keep or toss. If you're really torn, put it in a maybe box and go ahead and move it with the promise to revisit it in one year--then if you have no use for it, let it go. I purged a bunch of stuff in December. The only thing I regret tossing was a magazine I forgot I was in--I couldn't remember why I kept it in December. Fortunately, I had a duplicate copy and found that a few months ago. It's in a safe place now. But, if you have that March 2012 issue of Family Circle, I'll take it. And pay the postage.

Best wishes!
denise

I did remember to pause at 3pm. And my father was in the Color Guard in Tennessee today.

Donamae Kutska said...

Its stressful I have to go through everything too. But you will be happy after your all moved its an adventure for sure.

Laney4 said...

Lists, lists, and more lists - and don't lose your list(s), LOL!
Good luck, Joanne!

Barros Ferreira said...

I am really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues? A handful of my blog visitors have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any advice to help fix this issue?
women long clutch leather wallets

Joanne Rock said...

** Winner** congratulations to CL Breese! You've got a copy of Rancher in Her Bed coming your way:-). All you need to do is email me privately with a mailing address and I'll get this in the mail for you ASAP! Thank you all for stopping by the blog AND for the good moving wishes. Fingers crossed I'll be blogging about the MOVING IN process before too long :-). Have a wonderful weekend, my friends!