Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

My Life's Soundtrack

by Anna Campbell

Recently on Facebook there was one of those things going around where people tagged their friends to list ten things. I find these endlessly interesting - and almost invariably surprising. So I thought I'd break out of the Facebook ghetto and ask my Tote Bag chums the same question.

This particular meme doing the rounds was naming ten albums that have stayed with you. That doesn't particularly mean your favorite albums, but the ones that had some influence over you - or at least that's how I took it.

Inevitably, a lot of the records I picked (and I'm old enough that most of them actually WERE vinyl) went back to my childhood/teens and include some records my parents played a lot when I was a wee gel.

Here's my top 10 as of today (it's slightly different to the one I posted on Facebook but that's the nature of these things, isn't it?).

1. Swan Lake Ballet - Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic

2. Station to Station - David Bowie

3. Rubber Soul - the Beatles

4. Standing on a Beach (the Singles) - the Cure

5. Beethoven's Greatest Hits - various CBS artists

6. Les Miserables - Original Stage Cast

7. The Sound of Music - Soundtrack

8. The Glenn Miller Story - Soundtrack

9. My Fair Lady - Original Stage Cast

10. Lawrence of Arabia Soundtrack

So clearly my tastes run to classical and musicals with a bit of classic pop thrown in. Yup, that pretty much describes it, with a few movie scores as runners up.

It's been great fun to revisit some of the music that's influenced me. And even more fun to look at those album covers. Talk about a trip down memory lane! 

Now it's your turn. And if you want to put in a line or two about why you made your selections, I'd be very interested!

Oh, and by the way, if you don't follow me on Facebook, you can find me at:

https://www.facebook.com/AnnaCampbellFans

I'm pretty active there and I regularly do giveaways! 

Looking forward to seeing your music lists!

3 comments:

Pat Cochran said...

Hi, Anna,

Mother was an Elvis Presley fan with all of his recordings and
Dad was a tenor who won a scholarship to a music academy.
My siblings and I were in choir or band in school. Music was a
big part of our lives.

Honey and I surrounded our children with a great variety of mu-
sic. My list is a minute tally of the albums our crew enjoyed:

1. Frank Sinatra
2. Stan Kenton Orchestra
3. The Four Freshmen
4. The Beatles
5. June Christy
6. Carol King
7. Chicago (vocal/instrumental group)
8. Blood, Sweat, and Tears (vocal/instrumental group)
9. Camelot - Original Stage Cast
10. West Side Story - Soundtrack

Since Ken, daughter Missy, and I have been in our parish
choir for some thirty odd years, we all were surrounded by
sacred music. Ken, our children, the spouses, and most
of the grandchildren have been in school bands. In fact,
14 of our 18 immediate family members are musicians.
We live in a world of music!


Anna Campbell said...

Pat, what a great list. And how lucky you are to have music such a big part of your life. You've got quite a few of my favorites there - I love If Ever I Would Leave You from Camelot. Play it on the piano - it's such a great one to really bash out the stress on!

Sonya said...

Oh, I can't pick ten!
The Swan Lake music is so beautiful. I grew up in the ballet world and worked in theatres in my twenties, and so I've been involved in numerous productions of Swan Lake. I still get the goosebumps when the overture starts, and then again in act three when the coda of the Black Swan pas de deux begins!