Pages

Friday, March 01, 2013

Escape to an Island Romance - Annie West

Do you ever dream about getting away from it all somewhere secluded and romantic? Do you fantasise about a holiday somewhere warm and lush, where you can be pampered and carefree? Personally I couldn't resist the idea of an island getaway. There's something about the notion of being totally isolated from the world, linked only by phone or radio or boat, that appeals to the armchair adventurer in me. In real life I enjoy my comforts but as a kid I used to fantasise about a Swiss Family Robinson type existence and even now, the idea of an island getaway sounds so romantic to me.

So when I came to write my current book: CAPTIVE IN THE SPOTLIGHT I had enormous fun putting my two antagonists/soon-to-be lovers on an island. The story starts in Rome but shifts quickly to a private island of the south coast of Italy where the sunsets are glorious, the views fantastic and the temperature scorching - or maybe that's just Lucy and Domenico together.

It's not a tropical island but it does have lush gardens, plus a wilderness, some soft sand beaches and a pool to loll beside. There's a ruined castello and a luxury mansion. After all, if you want to hide away from the paparazzi, why not do it in style? After all, Domenico is from one of Italy's oldest and wealthiest families, so he'd have the best of everything at his fingertips. It takes a special woman to make him reassess the things he takes for granted to see another side to life.

Lucy, the woman who's just out of prison after a conviction for killing his brother, is that woman. Needless to say, falling for his brother's killer is not on Domenico's agenda. As for Lucy, the last person she wants to be with is this man who had no faith in her and abandoned her to the grinding legal system when she needed him most. You could say they have a lot to overcome - and you'd be right.

These photos of mine were both taken in sunny Queensland, Australia, but they give a feel for the lush luxury I imagine at the thought of an island escape. Lucy and Domenico's island looks a little different but has that some 'away from it all' air.

Does an island escape appeal to you? Have you ever visited an island and felt its magic? Maybe a tiny island just big enough for a lighthouse or a vast one like Sicily, brim-full of fascinating places and people. Is there an island destination you'd love to visit? 

Stop by tomorrow when I'll announce the winner of a free signed copy of one of my previously published titles to one person who leaves a comment.

Annie's CAPTIVE IN THE SPOTLIGHT is available now in North America, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Visit her website to read an excerpt or find out more about it. Here are a few links to buy: 

22 comments:

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

I've stayed on St John Island in the USVI and it was wonderful!

Annie West said...

Girlygirl - I've never heard of St John Island. I'll have to look it up! Thanks for sharing.

Mary Kirkland said...

I think a lot of us have fantasized about a trip to a remote, secluded island where all your needs are met. I used to imagine going to a place like fantasy island..now that would be interesting and fun. I haven't gone to a small island yet, but there's still time...

miztik_rose@yahoo.com

Laney4 said...

I don't fantasize about holidays away. I enjoy the comfort of my home, especially when friends and relatives join us. I enjoy visiting my sister and her husband 2000+ miles away as well.

What I would really, really, really miss on a "fantasy island" would be my computer. I don't have all the latest gadgets many people do these days, but I enjoy the instant access to the Internet/Google.

When I've gone away for three weeks at a time or had company stay for several weeks at a time, I have felt overwhelmed because I missed my daily blogging and emailing to friends. I enjoy THAT connectedness a lot. I will confess that I don't get as much done around here as I did pre-Internet, but I think dusting is highly overrated, LOL!

Kathleen O said...

I so want to escape to an Island somewhere warm and sunny... I use to love winter, well right up to Christmas.. Then I want to banish winter. So warm tropical breezes would be oh so nice to run away to..But I only have one problem.. Because of my ultra sensitive skin, I have to stay out of the sun... So on this Fantasy island, I would always have to have boat loads of sunscreen...

Pat Cochran said...

Oh, my! The internet ate my comment!

Let's try again!

No island escapes for me, I'm a sub-
urban wife, mother, and grandmother
who is content with my city life. If
I were on an island I would mostly
miss the amenities of my urban life
style! Like my computer, my TV, my
cell phone................!

erin said...

I would love to visit an island! I live in the middle of the United States and right now it's cold and snowing. So... Sun! Beach! count me in :)

Annie West said...

Mary, it sounds like a plan, doesn't it? There used to be a tiny island (just big enough for a little tent) in the lake not far from where I lived in my teens. I always wanted to go there and camp. Islands are magic, I'm sure.

Annie West said...

Laney - I'm with you on dusting being overrated! I forgot who it was who said they wouldn't think on their deathbed that they wished they'd spent more time on housework... Sounds like your fantasy is family, friends and unlimited internet!

Annie West said...

Kathleen, that's a given. Some nice shady trees hanging over the white sand. I could cope with that too. I love winter - I enjoy all the seasons - but I confess when winter goes too long it's awful. There should be a strict schedule for these things.

Annie West said...

Pat, I'm sure you can get islands with phone coverage - but to each her own. Sounds like you've got exactly the life you want there.

Annie West said...

Oh, Erin, that's hard. If it's any consolation I'm at a writers' convention in 'sunny' Queensland, Australia and the skies are grey. But it's not cold and when the sun eventually comes out I'm sure it will be steamy.

Linda Henderson said...

I'm with Erin, I'm in the middle of the country and it's cold and snowy. I would love to be sprawled out on a beach in Hawaii right now.

Di said...

I've been to Hawaii and loved it, but it's a very long flight from the eastern US. And I've been to Aruba - it's not a pretty island, it's very arid, but between that and the trade winds it's not buggy - and the water is beautiful!

Kaelee said...

Well I've been to a few islands and have a few more on my bucket list. I'd love to go back and visit another island in the Caribbean. We loved our time at Nassau. I'd love to visit a few islands in the Mediterranean ~ enjoyed Majorca and a boat trip to a few Greek islands. Would love to see Cyprus, Crete, Malta and Sardinia. Have been to two of the Hawaiian islands and would love to see the big island. Figi, Bali, either of the New Zealand main islands are totally dream worthy. However the only island that is remotely in our plans right now is maybe a short trip to Vancouver Island and a stay in Victoria. It's a place we like to revisit fairly often.

Mary Preston said...

I've visited islands up in the Whitsundays. I kind of felt trapped actually. I don't know why. I much prefer a beach on the mainland.

Annie West said...

Linda, I've never visited Hawaii. But everyone I know who's been there adores it!

Annie West said...

Di - you've made me laugh. Aruba sound so exotic to me but I've never thought of it as being 'not buggy'. Glad to water is beautiful. Maybe I'll get there one day.

Annie West said...

Hi Kaelee. Ooh what a great list of places to go.I want to see Cyprus too, and Vancouver Island, and in fact all the wines you mentioned. NZ is terrific and I've got a real soft spot for Crete too. Enjoy the trip!

Annie West said...

Mary, that's really interesting. I hope you felt better when you got back.

Annie West said...

So sorry everyone for being late posting the name of a winner here. I'm away and net access is intermittent. I've done a quick draw and the winner is MARY. CONGRATULATIONS! If you email me at annie(at) annie-west(dot)com with your postal address I'll send the book on to you.

Unknown said...

We have just visited Bedarra Hideaway on Bedarra Island, North Queensland Australia. It is absolutely fantastic, accessible only by boat or helicopter. Pure white sandy beaches with palms for great shade, almost to the water. Huge granite boulders frame the beach. The water is crystal clear. Private island escape. Sensational views, great walks, and kayaks.