Pages

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Celebrating Mothers - with Kate Walker


Today is my mother's birthday.  She was born on 3rd March  in Clones County Monaghan, Ireland.  Sadly she died just before the publication of my first book - though she did know that it had been accepted and was about to be published. 


My mother was the first person to open the door into the enchantment of stories and that wonderful questions ‘what happened next?’ I was one of five daughters, all of different ages and interests but we all used to come together at bed time and listen to the stories Mother would read to us. She read so many stories – many I can’t remember – but there were the Brer Rabbit, Irish legends and folk tales, King Arthur and his Knights of The Round Table.  Or sometimes she would make up stories herself, with characters based around the  personalities of her five daughters, or perhaps some special toys who would come alive in those imaginary lands.  These were the best because we had no idea what was going to happen  and we had to wait until the next night to hear what was going on. I’m sure my mother had no idea of what was going to happen either and spent the next day frantically trying to think up what might be the next instalment in the plot she was making up as she went along.

Perhaps it was from her that I learned how to tell a story. How to add  in excitement and adventure, how to lead up to an intriguing moment and then leave it at a cliff-hangers , saying  ‘ and if you want to find out what happened . . .well I’ll tell you that tomorrow night.’  She certainly  taught me to love stories and to want to feed my imagination with these wonderful people, events and mysteries.  And when I was old enough to read for myself she fed that imagination with books – from second hand book sales, from trips to the library, and birthday and Christmas gifts.  One of the best things that was always guaranteed to be in our Christmas stocking was a brand new and unopened annual.  I know it was  put there for us to read so that we would keep quiet and  stay in bed a little while longer on Christmas morning so that she could get some sleep – and it worked!  But it was still such a treat.

Of course, sadly  I can't actually celebrate her day with her,  but I do want to mark today – for a couple of reasons.  One is obviously Mother’s birthday, another is the fact that I’ve just been sent the brand new cover of my upcoming Presents  title – A  Throne For The Taking.  (out in June) I’ll post it here so you can see what you think.


Here in the UK,  next weekend is also Mother’s Day, again something worth celebrating – so, although it’s not Mother’s Day in America until May, I think  mothers are really well worth celebrating – so to mark today, and this new cover – I’m offering a giveaway of one of my backlist books for someone to give to their mother. Tell me about your Mum – does she love reading? Or is there something else she’s really interested in?  Why would you like to give her one of my books? Just post a comment and I’ll get Charlie the Maine Coon to pick a name  so that someone can hopefully make their mother’s day with a little special gift.

Kate’s latest hero is Alexei Sarova, a black sheep prince who has to face up to a new and unexpected destiny. A Throne For the Taking will be published in the Royal and Ruthless miniseries (in UK) in June.
Other up to date news and details of all Kate’s books can be found on her web site and in her blog.

 

16 comments:

Sharon Kendrick said...

Kate, as you know - my mother was also born near Clones ( a couple of miles over the border, in County Fermanagh) - but she went to a tiny school in Clones itself. It seems almost too strange a coincidence, doesn't it?

I had a magical trip there a year ago - the *diamond* in the centre of the town, was covered in a light snow and that is where at 8am on a cold December morning, that I caught the bus to Dublin. Bliss.

What lovely memories you have of your mother, and your childhood.

Sharon xx

Mary Kirkland said...

Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories. My mom passed away almost 2 years ago but we used to swap our books back and forth. In fact, I got my very first box of romance books from her and after that I would give her the books I got for her to read.

miztik_rose@yahoo.com

Linda Henderson said...

My mom is 91 and is probably in better shape than any of us. Unfortunately she doesn't read, at least I've never seen her read a book. I did not inherit my love of reading from her I'm sure. If I won I'd love to give the book to my sister. She is a read-a-holic like me. Her book collection is legendary in the family. She's trying to move right now and she still has a ton of books to move. She is like me though, we hate getting rid of our books. In 2011 the tornado got rid of my massive book collection for me so I've started another. I'm sure I'll never be able to replace all my really old Harlequins so I'll have to be content with more recent ones.

chey said...

My mom loves to read!

Pat Cochran said...

My mother loved reading ( Dad, too!)and
she taught me to read by age five. We
ended up being a large family (9 sibs)
and she would take us to the library
every week. We all came home with arms
full of books and shared a week-long lit-
erary adventure. Mother is gone now but
she left us a great legacy: a love of
reading. We shared this love with our
children and they shared with their
youngsters. At one point, we were four
generations of avid readers! The love
goes on!

(please leave me out of the drawing,
let the prize go to someone's dear
mother!)

Mary Preston said...

I come from a family that reads. I was about 4 when my Mother stopped reading to me & I began reading to her. We don't seem to need to be taught to read in our family. It just happens. My children were the same.

She would be thrilled with one of your books.

Kate Walker said...

My apologies for being late to answer you all - unexpected visitors and calls on my time - but I'm back now!

Kate Walker said...

Sharon - I love that coincidence that connects us. I suspect your mother was rather younger than mine. But Clones is such a lovely little place - I visited it in the height of summer with my uncle, my mother's brother. I must go back sometime.

Kate Walker said...

Hello Mary - I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. But memories hold special peopel in our hearts don't they? I love the idea of the two of you sharing romance books to read.

Kate Walker said...

Hi Linda - it's intriguing, isn't it, how someone so close can have such a very different attitude to reading. I had the same problem when I moved - so many books! And that was years ago, so there would be even more now!It's such a pity that you lost all your older books. Naybe you'll find copies of them somewhere

Kate Walker said...

Hi chey - you obviously take after your Mum then, don't you?

Kate Walker said...

Hello Pat - I love the idea of your family all sharing the love of reading. I thought my family was large enough - but we were on 5 of us not 9. There would have been lots of books to share between you! How great that the love of reading has been passed on - do you now pass the books down the generations too?

Kate Walker said...

Hi Mary - your family sound like mine. I know that I started reading around 4 - and never stopped! And yes, my son is the same - in fact he reads far more than I do now

Pat Cochran said...

Yes, we do! I have passed books down to
both daughters AND both sons and also to
nieces and to my sisters. They in turn
have returned the favor. We have a regu-
lar book highway going!

Pat C.

Laney4 said...

Alas, my mom (who didn't even read newspapers) has long passed. My MIL (who looks at pictures in magazines) never read either, and she certainly wouldn't now, as she has Alzheimer's. She has to really think hard (and be shown how) to sign a Christmas card "Mom".
I pass my books on to my girlfriends; when they finish, they pass them on to their moms, who live in retirement homes. Those moms leave the books in the common rooms of their buildings so that others may enjoy them too.

Eli Yanti said...

My mom like reading especially history about china :)