Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

BDSM in the Mainstream


If you haven’t heard, an erotica book about BDSM is topping the bestseller charts and the author has even sold the movie rights to Universal Pictures and Focus Features.  Apparently there were ten different studios bidding for those rights.  Of course, I’m talking about Fifty Shades of Grey.

It was interesting to see the reader reviews on sites like Amazon say things like “I couldn’t stand the hero, but I couldn’t put the book down.”  To me, that means the author drew them into the story and evoked strong emotional reactions.

It is also interesting to see the controversy around these books.  A friend of mine sent me an email one day in shock because she’d just heard that Dr. Drew was doing a segment on erotic romance and the teaser line was “Erotic romance: fantasy or violence?”  Wow.  Here’s a link to that segment if you’d like to check it out:


I’ve been writing BDSM for years.  In my books, it’s part of fantasy role playing my characters are involved in.  When my book SECRET TIES came out in 2009, I was a little nervous about what people’s reactions would be.  I was delighted when Amara, a reviewer at Publisher’s Weekly, said ” It’s fun to read erotica with a believable and engaging plot. As a feminist, I appreciate the fact that Summer and Max directly approach and then satisfactorily resolve the question of whether it’s politically correct to engage in S & M in an era of gender equality.”

So why would a strong, modern woman partake in a Dominant-submissive role?  Summer, my heroine in Secret Ties, asks exactly that.

“Are we making you uncomfortable, Summer?” Tanya asked.
Summer’s gaze jerked to her friend’s face.  “Uh… no, I just… don’t really get it.”
As much as the discussion triggered thoughts of hot illicit sex with Max, she was sure that was more because of his strong masculine aura.
“Why would any woman want to be submissive to a man when we’ve fought so long to be recognized as strong and independent? 
“Summer, come here.”
At Max’s tone, Summer’s gaze flew to his face.  His dark eyes cut through her uncertainty as he spoke again.  “Stand up and come over here.”
His commanding tone was totally irresistible.  She stood up and stepped toward him before she realized what she was doing.
She stopped in front of him, feeling a bit foolish, yet a part of her wanted to obey him.  He seemed so utterly masculine and that thrilled her.
“Fill my glass with champagne.”
She drew in a deep breath, realizing she’d been worried—yet excited at the prospect—that he would order her to do something… illicit… even if just a kiss.
She turned toward the table and picked up the cold, black bottle and filled Max’s glass.”
“Now Tanya’s,” Max commanded.
She filled it, then stood there holding the bottle.
“Now put the bottle down and return to your seat.”
She replaced the bottle on the table.  Why had she waited for him to tell her to do that?  She’d stood there holding it like a mindless idiot.  It was as if she’d gone into a mode where she just waited for his commands, with no mind of her own.
She returned to her seat.
“You were just a submissive,” Max said.
She nodded, not risking saying anything, afraid her voice would quaver.
“The Dominant-submissive relationship is all about the exchange of power.  The submissive chooses to be controlled by the Dominant.  The Dominant does not take away the rights of the submissive, she gives them freely.
“A submissive never has to do anything she doesn’t want to do.  You could have chosen at any time not to follow my commands.”

If your interest in BDSM has been piqued, I have a few books, shown here, you could try.

What do you think about BDSM?  Does the idea of a big strong man taking control get your heart thumping?  Or would you prefer to be the one in control?  Do you prefer BDSM in books rather than the bedroom?  Or would you prefer to avoid it altogether?  Share your thoughts.

Three lucky commenters will win a copy of either Slaves of Love or Virtual Love, their choice.  (Both are ebook format only.)  Good luck! 

***Opal's winners are - Anne, Shelley B., and Chrisbails!  Ladies, please email me at totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing info.  Thank you!***

8 comments:

*yadkny* said...

Honestly I never thought I would like to read BDSM stories until I had inadvertently read one and was blown away by how incredible it was and not just for the story. I had my misconceptions about the whole BDSM world, but a big strong man taking control definitely does get my heart thumping:) Of course I would like to occasionally take control too:)

yadkny@hotmail.com

erin said...

Thanks for a great post and giveaway! Thanks for the excerpt, that was a perfect example of what the thrill and appeal of BDSM stories are for me. I'm too much of a cynic and control freak to really ever enjoy that in real life so it's strictly reading enjoyment for me :)

Shelley B said...

I've just recently started reading some BDSM books. I did read Fifty Shades. I liked it ok, but I've read better. I don't like the really hard core stuff. It's just not for me. I do have to say, though, that my husband's and my love life has changed some (for the better) after reading these books. Great post and giveaway!

pamerd said...

Hi
Great post and interview. I have been watching with interest the many conversations about 50 Shades. I have this on my ereader but have not read it yet. I have only been reading stories with BDSM for a little over a year - but have really enjoyed reading about the lifestyle - love hearing about men in control falling for the love interest in the story. I do not live the lifestyle but do enjoy reading about it.

Thanks for the chance
Pam
tpibrew@msn.com

Chrisbails said...

Great post. Just found this genre and like it. I loved the 50 Shades Trilogy. Have one of Opal's books in my TBR pile. I would love to be the Dom of the relationship, but it might be fun to switch and try the other side-the Sub. It would be great to try with someone you trusted. I have read some interesting books and will definately read more.
christinebails@yahoo.com

Barbara said...

I would say my interest has been piqued by the books I've read. I like reading/fantasizing about D/s relationships...and I wouldn't mind trying it out with the hubs...only in the bedroom though. I'm too outspoken to live that way 24/7. And even there...it's really all about trust and there are somethings we'd have to discuss before I think I could feel comfortable to trust him enough to fully submit. But, I'll certainly keep reading! ;)

barbbattaglia @ yahoo.com

Anne said...

So many of the BDSM books I read are what most real practioners would probably find not real, but play BDSM. But, I enjoy the mild dominance, bondage and play in them. In real life, I would not participate in a real BDSM situation because, despite the psycho babble I've read about it, I find it demeaning for the sub. I've read about them really being in control...but no. I also have no desire to dominate anyone either. However, a little playing with a safe word to make sure it stays play is cool.

acm05atjuno.com

Jennie Coleen561 said...

The first story of this type that I read was the fan fiction version of Fifty Shades (Master of the Universe). I found it very compelling and sexy; it was one of my favorite works of fan fiction. Since then, I've realized that I really enjoy stories with strong, dominant, possessive heroes. I've enjoyed a number of BDSM-themed stories since reading MOTU.

I agree with Anne that these stories are probably more "play BDSM" but I think that's okay. I don't think I could really live this lifestyle or enjoy it in real life, but I enjoy reading about it in stories.

I'm new to this blog and I'm not familiar with Opal's stories, but it sounds like I need to check out her books!

jcn@centurytel.net