Pages

Monday, November 01, 2010

NaNoWriMo -- Susanna Carr

Years ago I participated in the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). It was a difficult challenge for me and I swore I would never do it again.

But this weekend a relative of mine signed up for the NaNoWriMo and asked if I would do it alongside her. She obviously hadn't listened to my suffering, or maybe she thought I was being dramatic.

She'll find out for herself soon enough.

So today I am unofficially doing the NaNoWriMo. You can follow my progress--the good, the bad and the ugly--at http://www.facebook.com/susanna.carr.

This challenge is going to show every writer her strengths and her weaknesses. My hope is that my writing output and consistency have improved since the last time I did the NaNoWriMo.

Have you participated in the NaNoWriMo? If you have any survival tips, please share them!

3 comments:

Christina Hollis said...

Good luck to both you and your relative, Susanna. The only advice I would give is - a blank sheet of paper or computer screen are very daunting. Make sure you've got something in your head before you sit down, then get some words - any words! - down as fast as possible. It much easier to refine and rework, rather than struggle with the tyranny of an empty page.
Fingers crossed for you!

Faith said...

Lots of caffeine, very little sleep and some form of craziness.

Naw just kidding, well sort of! This is my second year doing NaNo and I always look forward to it with serious anticipation. I was so excited for November 1st that I stayed home on Halloween so at 12:01 a.m. I could start writing! lol

Good luck, my advice is to completely cut off the self critic. Do not go back and make edits, rewrites, revisions. And if you still don't know what to write check the dares out on the forums. Last year I got almost 4,000 words doing one dare and it worked out so well I left it in my novel.

Oh and be as over the top descriptive as you can! lol

Linda Henderson said...

I'm not a writer but I can certainly appreciate all the effort it takes to participate in this undertaking.