Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What a way to kick off the new year!


I love New Year's.  I'm totally goal and list oriented, so I love thinking about all the things to come in the new year and all the possibilities it holds.  I'm especially excited about this year, because it's kicking off with something really special. 

Today my first book of the year is released in stores.  It's called One Dance With The Cowboy and it's the first in a duet called Cowboys and ConfettiOne Dance With The Cowboy is a reunion story between high school sweethearts.  It's also set in the town I created named Larch Valley.  My first Larch Valley book was out a year ago, called The Rancher's Runaway Princess.  I loved being back in that setting again, and I enjoyed writing a little more of Lucy and Brody into the plot. 


I created Larch Valley by taking all my favourite things about small town Alberta and putting it in the middle of the majestic prairies, close to the Rocky Mountains.  It's especially poignant because when I wrote this book a year ago, I no longer lived in Alberta, and visiting Larch Valley again brought back a lot of fond memories of my time spent among wheat fields, ranches, and mountains.

Here's part of my Dear Reader:

In 2008, our family moved from Alberta to the east coast of Canada.  We left behind some very good friends, and also fond memories of the Prairies...

Writing stories set in Larch Valley has been specialbecause in a way it keeps me connected to the part of Canada I called home for over a decade.  Little did I know when I wrote The Rancher's Runaway Princess how muh I would look forward to visiting this town again.  I hope you enjoy Jen and Andrew's story, and come back...to meet Andrew's brother Noah, and find out what happens when he meets the unstoppable Lily Germaine.


Having this book on the shelves is pretty meaningful to me, and hopefully it will resonate with readers as well.  I can't think of a better way to start a brand new year.

I'll just be catching my breath from that when it's follow up book, Her Lone Cowboy, comes out in March.  I know we're not supposed to have favourites, but I have to say the hero Noah is one of those I will never forget.  It's out for release in the UK in April, paired up with Diana Palmer's Tough To Tame. 

I'm so thrilled to have this duet hitting the shelves!  You can catch up on the duet and other Larch Valley info by visiting the Larch Valley site.  You can download a printable bookmark, try your hand at a cover puzzle or do a special word search too on the Fun and Games page!

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

Linda Henderson said...

I always enjoy your books, so I will look forward to reading them.

Donna Alward said...

Thank you Linda! :-)

Rebekah E. said...

Thanks for the great post.

Atia Austen said...

I love reunion stories, Donna. And I think it's okay to have favourite heroes. To have a favourite child is much worse. ;-)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I can empathize with your missing the Prairies, Donna. I have family, friends and great memories from time well-lived in Toronto, so I have one of those girls' necklace-type hearts, where they come in two halves with 'best friends' printed on it. My heart says 'Toronto' and 'Halifax' on it.

Her Lone Cowboy looks like it might be irresistable for me.

Michele L. said...

Hi Donna,

Reunion stories are always special. Hey, having a favorite hero is ok with me. I would imagine that with all the stories you have wrote that some characters are closer to your heart than others.

Thanks for sharing with us all the fun info on your website! I will have to go and check it all out!

Have a fantastic week!

Donna Alward said...

Thanks everyone!

Michele look out - those puzzles are addictive and a fabulous procrastination tool...

Mary Kirkland said...

Cool beans. I enjoy reading your books and can't wait to get this one.

Estella said...

I enjoy your writing. I'm looking forward to reading these books!

Mason Canyon said...

It's good to see cowboys are still popular. I'll have to check these out. Thanks for an interesting post.