Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

A little bit of fun on the side - Amanda Ashby

No, of course I'm not going to talk about what you think I'm going to talk about. For a start, I'm a married mother of two - and seriously who has the time or the energy to have anything on the side??? What I was actually referring to was my part time job at the local library. For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to work at a library (or a chocolate shop. Or a chocolate shop that doubled up as a library) and so I was thrilled when I got the weekend position working at the children/teen counter.

When I first started I thought it would be cool to get some extra money and that it might also help my writing. I also (misguidedly) imagined that I would be having long and witty chats with teenage girls about why they should read Vampire Academy and The Hunger Games. However, I quickly realized that apart from when they had to come up to the counter to pick up their Twilight reservations, teenage girls don't tend to go anywhere near librarians. Instead they skuttle around and self-issue (while sending text messages and rolling their eyes). At first I was a bit disappointed since I love teen fiction so much but after deciding to do a monthly noticeboard to keep them all posted on what's going on (and then watching with glee as they started to all reserve Vampire Academy and The Hunger Games) I soon realized that the real talkers were the pre-teens.

I'm constantly amazed at how many eleven year old boys come up to the counter determined to tell me what their favorite books are (and why. Often in graphic detail). Even better, unlike the teens who hide away, the pre-teen boys and girls love asking for recommendations and my absolute favorite part of the job is helping them discover new authors for them to love. It's a bit like playing Cupid but without all the pesky arrows!


As for whether working there has enhanced my own writing, I'm really not sure, but what it has done has really allowed me to connect back with the thing that I love most in the world - reading books and talking about books. Now, if only they would get that chocolate counter in there, it really would be the perfect part-time job...


To find out more about my books you can go to http://www.amandaashby.com/.

5 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

'(or a chocolate shop. Or a chocolate shop that doubled up as a library)'

LOL!

Linda Henderson said...

I've always wanted to work in a bookstore with a coffee shop. If they had pastries and chocolate there that would be great too.

Amanda Ashby said...

Julia and Linda it seems that we read (or eat) from the same page! Books and chocolate just seem to go together (though perhaps not in the sun!!!)

Michele L. said...

Oh my chocolate! Yes, working at a place where chocolate was made or served would be heavenly! Anything with chocolate on it is always delicious too! I have had chocolate covered pretzels and they are pretty good!

runner10 said...

Chocolate and books. Great combination!!