Pages

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Susan Sands: Should I Tell Them My Age?

Dear Friends,

I have a confession to make:  I'm turning fifty this week. Yes, I know, we all have to do it sometime, but as a woman really just getting my feet wet in a career where agents and editors might be checking for an expiration date, I wonder if I should admit that to everyone so freely?

I'm proud of every year that I've lived. Every struggle, heartache, and accomplishment. I've got three grown, or nearly-grown kids, and they are my pride and joy. I'll be an almost-empty nester this time next year, with my youngest getting ready for college.

But for all my lack of shame in turning fifty, does it come with a price in this industry? Are we seen as past our prime by those who might consider investing in our career for longevity as storytellers? I really hope not. I feel I've just opened my eyes as a human, as a woman. My ability to absorb and empathize is stronger now, and my perception of things around me is keen--much more so than when I was completely immersed in seeing to my children's every need. I have less busy static in my brain that frees me to think about my writing now, which allows me more introspection.

Sure, I'm still busy, but life is busy. I'm looking forward to some pretty exciting things on the horizon this year. Fifty is looking pretty fantastic right now!

Again, Alabama is free right now, and should remain so until mid-June! Love, Alabama has made its way onto the NetGalley home page, which is very exciting for me, and for Tule. More fun announcements to come!















Please connect with me on social media!

Susan


2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

Happy Birthday! (my secret: I'll join you in the 50 club November)

denise

Susan Sands said...

Thanks, Denise!!