Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Saranna DeWylde: A Heroine’s Journey


How To Seduce An Angel in 10 Days is my third book in the 10 Days series. So far, it’s been the hardest of all my romances to write.

I was excited to write Tally and Falcon’s story, but the heroine made me gnash my teeth constantly. I think it’s because there is nothing so torturous as watching someone struggle through lessons you learned yourself and being unable to help them. I didn’t intend for Tally to be so much like me, but that’s how she bloomed on the page.

While her story is a romance and has its lighter moments, Tally’s story is about learning to love yourself. It’s about accepting your own flaws without fear and learning to live in your own skin.

That lesson can be a hard one and the road is bumpy and not just a little terrifying. I traveled that road myself when I worked as a corrections officer. Learning to love myself after the mess I’d made of my life was maybe one of the hardest lessons I’ve ever had to learn.

I’m a better person for it, and a better writer. Or at least I hope I am. I think Tally is, too.

So since we’re talking about lessons today, is there anything that you wish you could tell your younger self? What it is and why?

Got Angel?

Drusilla "Tally" Tallow does. Both fallen and otherwise because she's got ten days of Heavenly and Infernal Parole after knocking Falcon Cherrywood from his broom. All she wanted was to settle down with a nice warlock, have babies, and grow old together. But she's got a bad habit of falling for the wrong warlock. She blames Cupid. Too bad her Heavenly Parole Officer is none other than the heart bandit himself--the newly appointed Cupid and current fixture in all her fantasies, Falcon Cherrywood.

After smiting Cupid with a fireball, Falcon Cherrywood must now play the Diapered Archer. He can't think of anything more humiliating than flying around in pink wings shooting arrows into hopeless fools. Archery was never his strong suit and Falcon doesn't even believe in love. But more troubling are the feelings his sinfully irresistible parolee sets off in him--for only Tally has the power to make him believe in things better left to fairy tales, like Happily Ever After.

4 comments:

Pat Cochran said...

I would caution my younger self
to live a healthier, more active
life. I've been convinced of this
outlook on life since 2004 when
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Dia-
betes. I'm maintaining good num-
bers and a good weight, but it
would be so much easier if I had
taken better care of myself!

Pat C.

Nicki said...

My biggest thing would be to tell my younger self to be happy with your body. I had really low self-esteem when I was younger and when I look at old pictures (by old I mean 12 years and 4 kids ago!) all I can think is "why was I so unhappy? I was gorgeous!" I hope I can get my kids to appreciate who they are as they grow up.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear you're taking good care of yourself now. I think a lot of us would make that choice. :)

Unknown said...

Me too! I feel the same way. I found some pictures of myself and it was like I remember thinking I was so unattractive. That's a great thing to teach your kids. I hope I'm teaching mine that very thing.