Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Chocoholics Unite!


by Anna Campbell

It always surprises me what gets a strong reaction on social media.

Sometimes I'll post something I think people will find really interesting - and the punters kinda shrug their shoulders and go on with their business. Then I'll put up something that I think is either silly or dull or of interest basically only to me, and I get a really strong response with lots of people weighing in to share an opinion.

Oh, well, the world would be a dull place if it was always predictable, wouldn't it?

Just before Christmas, I posted a comment on my Facebook page about eating chocolate for breakfast and was it wrong. Now, I don't think this is a world-shaking issue (although I was feeling rather guilty for attacking the Ferrero Rochers at 7am!). Over 80 comments and a whole stack of people liking the comment.



I have no idea why people enjoyed talking about this - although I have to say I had fun confessing to my self-indulgence. By the way, just to let you know, EVERYBODY said there was absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of chocolate noshing at that hour, especially considering the time of year.

Perhaps it's the magic word 'chocolate'!

I know a lot of my writer friends fuel their creativity on chocolate. I'm not quite that bad but when I'm having a rotten time with the writing, I tend to raid the pantry for those little bits of luscious goodness. My next book A RAKE'S MIDNIGHT KISS was fueled by some lovely Toblerone that my critique partner Annie West sent to speed me on my way. There's definitely a blog in that.

All this got me thinking about preferences in chocolate. I have to say my current favorites are Toblerones and Ferrero Rochers although there's an Aussie company called Haigh's that makes the most beautiful high quality chocolate, well worth checking out if it's available near you.

I'm also partial to a KitKat. Do they have them in America? They're a wafer biscuit coated in chocolate (I like the wafer in the Ferrero Rochers too)and they're popular here and in the U.K. where I used to have one as a treat when I worked at Covent Garden Markets in London now and again.

Given how close we are to Valentine's Day, it's a great time to be talking about chocolates. I imagine tons of the stuff will be sold in the next week.

So Happy Valentine's Day! What's your favorite chocolate? Or can't you stand the stuff? Bleuch or nom, nom, nom? 

28 comments:

Kandy Shepherd said...

Anna, I am a total chocoholic and have indulged in all the chocolates you feature in your post. Have you tried one of the big chocolate frogs from Haighs?
I love milk chocolate and probably my favorite is where nuts are also involved.
Sadly, my willpower is very weak when it comes to chocolate so I try not to have too much in the house.
Valentine's Day is an exception of course!

Unknown said...

Hi Anna,
Our whole family loves Haighs - it is great having their factory here in SA!!!
Absolute favourite are the assorted Haighs truffles, particularly the lemon truffle.
Valentine's Day means a visit to the Haighs shop to buy truffles and then be given the free tastings - an opportunity to discover some new yummy chocolate treats!

Connie said...

Hi, Anna!

I'll be on the other side of the fence here. I admit that I don't crave chocolate but there are several types that I really enjoy. First of all, real Belgium chocolates made with butter, cream and a very short shelf-life are truly delicious. Lindt truffles are nice too. Something creamy and soft like that is the best. I'm intrigued by Haighs chocolate and must see if it's available here in the U.S. Now, I'll probably get rocks thrown at me by a lot of Americans, but I am totally turned off by Hershey's chocolate. It just taste so artificial.

Happy (early) Valentine's Day to everyone! :-)

By the way, KitKats are very common here. My tiny little daughter-in-law adores them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna
I try to stay away from chocolates because I think I'm addicted to it! lolll But I tasted a new one called Spicy Chocolate by Lindt, mum delicious if you love spicy foods, then this chocolate is for you!
Happy Valentine day to you! and friends !

Anna Campbell said...

Kandy, I've still got some left from Christmas - yum! I've been saving the Toblerone for an emergency. I have indeed had the Haigh's chocolate frog. And I think even better are their chocolate macadamias. Chocolate heaven!

Anna Campbell said...

Ooh, Lucy, you lucky duck, having a Haigh's handy. I used to buy a lot of presents at the Sydney one (and an occasional treat for me!). A lovely friend of mine occasionally sends me boxes of the truffles. To die for! Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Anna Campbell said...

Connie, oh, man, you brought back memories. When I first went to London, I got addicted to the fresh cream chocolates that they sell at Harrod's. Un-be-lievabaly GOOD! I'm laughing at the short shelf life comment - they never needed to have a long shelf life when I bought them. Nom, nom, nom. Actually I'm not a huge Hershey fan either - it's a different taste from the Australian chocolate so I guess it's what you're used to.

Anna Campbell said...

And happy Valentine's Day!

Anna Campbell said...

Ooh, Nicole, I"ve never heard of Spicy Lindt. Sounds wonderful. I'll have to check it out. I love the Lindt hazelnut balls. Like Kandy, if nuts are involved, I'm in heaven. Happy Valentine's Day!

Lory Lee said...

I belong here! I love chocolates <3. I love anything dark.

Kaelee said...

I'm from Canada and yes we have KitKats. I'm from Italian heritage on my father's side and a number of years ago I found a chocolate that I absolutely love at an Italian store. It's La Suissa Baby Nus, made with dark chocolate and hazelnuts. I adore it. We used to have a local chocolate shop here and I would treat myself to just one of their chocolates more often than I should have. I've found that if you eat a good quality chocolate you don't need as much to satisfy your craving. The same thing applies to cheese which is my other love.

Anna Campbell said...

Lory, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to chocolate. Milk all the way! ;-)

Anna Campbell said...

Kaelee, that chocolate bar sounds lovely. Actually I forgot to mention one of my favorite chocolates - Baci. And they have these gorgeous little love notes inside. Just right for a romance writer! I think you're right about the good quality chocolate. I think I need to do a bit more experimenting, just for scientific purposes, you understand. ;-)

Pat Cochran said...

Anna, my favorite chocolate used to be
milkbut, as a diabetic, I have switched
to dark. Sugar-free if I can find it!
You introduced me to Tim Tams a few years
back when I won one of your contests and
they are at the top of my chocolate list.
Since they are difficult to find in the
US, I satisfy my urge for the best with a
next best: Kit Kats! They are found every-
where, are inexpensive, JUST VERY GOOD!

Anna Campbell said...

Pat, the TimTams are a real addiction, aren't they? Worth moving to Australia for! ;-) Just eating one takes me right back to those happy years when I lived in London - not bad for something that doesn't cost the earth, huh?

Connie said...

I'm thinking I must zip on over to "your neck of the woods" to try some Haighs chocolates. I looked at them online and tried to reach out and fondle them. But...sigh...

:-)

Anna Campbell said...

No go in your area, Connie! Another reason to come to Australia!

Michelle Douglas said...

A post about chocolate? Oh, I think I've died and gone to heaven!

Anna, I don't think there's a chocolate I'd turn down -- but my current faves are Lindt's A touch of sea salt dark chocolate...and cherry ripes. :-)

Okay, hungry now...off to find some chocolate.

Anna Campbell said...

Michelle! Michelle, you restore my faith in human nature. I have a very good friend who considers my love of Cherry Ripes a sign that I should be deported. We need to get together soon and eat CRs! I haven't tried the Lindt you mention. That wicked Annie West has turned into a Toblerone Pusher - I've started calling her my dealer!

Anna Campbell said...

Thanks, guys, for some fun chocolatey talk. See you next month - I'm launching a new novella in March so I'll tell you all about that and do a giveaway or two. Happy Valentine's Day!

Mary Preston said...

I actually think that chocolate for breakfast is perfectly sane. Albeit I have mine in the form of a hot chocolate, but still.

Anna Campbell said...

Ooh, Mary, EXCELLENT point! I love hot chocolate. I remember traveling in Austria and how delicious their hot chocolate is - all creamy. Yum!

Unknown said...

There are 2 Haighs in Sydney now. Makes up a little for losing Daryl Lea.

One of my favourite places is Koko Black in Melbourne. They have some delicious chocolate bars and yummy hot chocolate drinks.

Laine

Anna Campbell said...

Elaine, I was really sad about Darrell Lea. They were part of my childhood - they had a shop with spectacular window displays in Brisbane. Interesting about the two Haigh's. When I lived there, there was one at the end of the beautiful Strand Arcade. Koko Black sounds like it's worth checking out!

Michelle Douglas said...

Speaking of dealers...who do you think it was that introduced me to Lindt's Touch of Sea Salt? ;-)

Eli Yanti said...

I'm a fans of chocolate but now I'm prefer dark chocolate - guylian

Ana Neves said...

I love Ferrero Rocher, I love Toblerones...I love chocolate!!! xD
Happy valentines day :D

Unknown said...

hmmm.. yummy! nice topic. I like choclates especially KitKat. It's my favorit. Thanks
http://www.irabwah.com