Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2021

What is family?


Questions.

That's where all stories start. 

What if?

Something Perfect (the last book of the Hometown Weddings and the second last book of the series) started with the question What if...? and then proceeded with a daughter asking, Who am I? Where am I from? What is family? 

You've seen me ask and answer those particular questions over and over again in my books.  Each character and each story has a slightly different answer. But all those answers are rooted in the same place...Love.  That's what makes a family.

For me, that question of where I'm from—who I'm from—is foundational.  I didn't meet my bio-father until I was in my thirties. Knowing he was out there but not knowing anything about him left me with so many questions.  And as a writer, questions are part of my job description. I had a burning need to find the answers. When I first met him, he tried to answer as many questions as he could. (I come from generations of Appalachian stock with a titled Englishman, a Scottish laird and some Quakers.) He was nice but he wasn't family. As time went on and I grew to know and love him and one day he was. Just like that. Like magic. He was family. Love...that makes family more than DNA.

The Hometown Hearts Wedding trilogy (Something Borrowed, Something Blue and Something Perfect) is all about how a family is made.  Three women become friends and grow into family. Each of them finds their own true love...and their own true family!

There's a short story, Something Unexpected, this summer, then the final book, A Hometown Christmas in September. 

Thanks all of you who've taken these journeys with me! 

Holly

Hometown Hearts





Crib NotesHometown Hearts #1




A Special Kind of Different: Hometown Hearts #2





HomecomingHometown Hearts #3



 Suddenly a Father: Hometown Hearts #4


Something Borrowed: Hometown Hearts #5





Something Blue: Hometown Hearts #6 


Something Perfect: Hometown Hearts #7 available 5/21





Preorder
Something Unexpected: A Hometown Hearts short story, available 7/21
Amazon

PreorderA Hometown Christmas: Hometown Hearts #8, available 9/21
Kindle 
Nook
AppleBooks
Kobo

3 comments:

HollyJacobs said...

.

dstoutholcomb said...

sounds like it was a special moment when it all clicked.

denise

HollyJacobs said...

It was!