Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Let's Kick 2020 to the Curb - C'mon In 2021!


2020....

So many things could be said about this last year - and they will be said and analyzed and discussed for years to come - right?  Since January, we've been dealing with a pandemic, worldwide fires, hurricanes and storms, chaos, food (and toilet paper) shortages, quarantines, no hair-coloring, contentious times, cancelled trips/travel, missing family and friends and especially grandbabies, elections, deaths and general mayhem. Yes, 2020 will not be soon forgotten. 

But there were good things in 2020, too. 

The quarantining forced us to be more creative about staying in touch with families and friends (and even school and work). To keep in touch with family and friends, we learned to stream and to zoom and to gather safely if distantly. 

The friends I've traveled to Ireland with - affectionately called The Plucking Monkeys - create fictional song titles from bits of conversations while learning to do zoom calls. I so needed this kind of thing while isolated with only my husband -- and he needed me to do this virtual getaway to give him some time alone, too! LOL!

 We LEARNED TO BAKE BREAD! and other skills, too. We learned how to curbside-pickup. We perfected the art of online shopping and learned the importance of supporting local businesses. 

Performers shared their music and art with worldwide audiences in a way we'd never done. One of my favorite Scottish musicians - Dougie MacLean - began streaming a wee concert several times a week, then twice a week, then weekly since April and he's just done his 66th performance. Many others are doing the same kind of thing - from podcasts, to talks and concerts.  Baking and cooking and drink-making demos abound. 


 And, of course, face mask making. I've sewn since I was about 10 years old, so when the need arose, I got my machine out and found directions and began sewing. For several months early on, making masks grounded me and gave me some tangibly productive to do with all my time. The only time I left my house then was to go to one of my local Joann Fabrics stores and curbside-pickup of orders. By July I had made more than 300 for family, friends and two local senior centers (one my mom lived in before she passed) and my 44 year-old machine died... Got a new one and continue to make masks.

 

 Personally, after three years of being almost unable to write, the stories began to come back and talk to me. I managed to write a novella and a whole novel this year along with finishing the majority of another one. And, I've brainstormed out a new series with 2 authors and another possible series for myself! So, 2020 was the year my writing got back in gear - though painfully different than I've written in the past.  And, The Highlander's Inconvenient Bride will be an August 2021 release from Harlequin Historicals! 

And now, 2021 is coming in quickly and I am cautiously optimistic about the new year. I wouldn't dare say 'well, it couldn't be as bad as 2020' because I don't want to tempt the Fates into doing anything crazy...but I'm hopeful for the first time in a long time. About life in general and writing, too. 

How about you? Ready to get rid of 2020 and move on? 

I'll do a giveaway here - choosing from those who comment to this post and tell me one good thing they're looking forward to in 2021. I'll giveaway a print copy of one of my books, a facemask, and some other goodies, too.

 So Happy New Year to you and yours - I wish you happiness, health, safety, good times and all the books you need! 


6 comments:

Kay Garrett said...

I'm so ready to put 2020 behind us and to moving on to 2021!

I'm ready to do some safe traveling. After all, I'm not getting younger and health isn't going to get better. I need to be able to mark off bucket list sights before health chances leaving me with more stay at home time. At this point, I'd even be thrilled to be able to travel to visit with friends and family.

Love to cook/bake, but even a chef enjoys a sandwich thrown together by someone else. However, eating in the car or getting take out and still having to deal with dishes and clean up, is NOT my idea of a eating out treat for the cook. I long to go to a seat down restaurant and enjoy a nice leisurely dinner with hubby. Hoping to do just that in 2021.

It would be nice to be able it actually sit down and talk over my medical conditions with a doctor. In 2020, it's either been over the computer or when I actually went to the doctor, the appointment was rescheduled at least three times before I get in. The last time was 30 minutes before my appointment and they caught me as I was walking out the door. They say to stay on top of your medical conditions, but if you can't talk to them how are you do to that? When I did see a doctor in person, they are scared to touch you - which I understand cause I was scared for them to touch me too - and was zip in and out. I might as well talked to them on the computer for the satisfaction my money got. Hoping in 2021 for medical issues to be handled in the old way or some new way so that you feel like you actually talked to the doctor.

For 2021 my word is DETERMINATION. I am determined to be optimistic and to have a better 2021 than 2020!

Thank you for the chance! Shared and hoping to be the fortunate one selected.

Be safe, stay healthy and have a little adventure along the way - even if through the pages of a good book!
2clowns at arkansas dot net

dstoutholcomb said...

My oldest and my middle sons are both graduating from college in May. The oldest is graduating with his DPT and the middle is graduating with 3 undergrad degrees and an accelerated Master's Degree.

Happy New Year!

denise

Laney4 said...

Happy New Year!
I am looking forward to catching up on more items on my to-do list. I got several done last year; however, when one of my sisters died unexpectedly in October, everything changed in a heartbeat (or should I say "lack of a heartbeat?").
I can relate to Kay's comment above about doctor's appointments, as I have had two telephone appointments lately. I have also "emailed" photographs whenever something is bothering me. It's not the same, but I'm thankful we have at least THESE opportunities to follow-up on changing situations, as I certainly don't want to go to the hospital emergency department!
Here's to more of a return to normal in 2021....

Terri Brisbin said...

Yes!! Medical treatment has really changed in 2020 -- my GP is part of a university hospital system and they reopened early in the pandemic but I haven't seen many others.

May 2021 return us to a bit of normal ASAP please!

joye said...

One of my grandsons is getting married this summer. So looking forward to that
jwisley(at)aol(dot)com

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to getting a new puppy whom I hooe will bring me more happiness in my life.
JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com