Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Good Parts of Alone Time

Joanne Rock


I’ve spent a lot of time alone lately. That probably comes as no surprise. We’ve all been isolated in one way or another for the last few months. I’m not always totally alone, so that’s nice. But I’ve had more solo time than I’ve had in many years.

As an aggressively positive thinker, I try to look at whatever I face through
Rose colored glasses aren't always a bad thing
the rosiest possible lenses. I’m sure some people find that annoying, but it’s my coping mechanism. I surround myself with pretty things in my physical realm, and curate my social media to be purposely uplifting. So it’s in keeping with my approach to life that I’ve looked for silver linings in being alone so often. I thought it might help someone else to share the good that I’ve found.

My new stereo in my office
First and foremost, I like quiet. I always have. There is a deep quietness in being alone that allows my spirit to settle and my thoughts to pleasantly wander. That’s not the case when there is hubbub around me, others making demands on my time, or the general strife of life elbowing me for my attention. My writing lately has been clear and focused, and I know it’s because of the quietness of the times. That’s a good thing. I’m reading more, which is something I enjoy in quiet times. Those are good wins.

Yet, when I want to turn up the music, being alone gives me the ability to make my musical choices all about me. I listen to what I want, when I want, as loud as I want. And that’s pretty darn nice. I bought myself a new stereo system with a level of sound quality I haven’t experienced since before I had a family. Music—in beautiful, full notes—now surrounds me as often as I choose. I’ve been recovering some lost music of my teens and twenties thanks to the wonders of Spotify and their “Song Radio” feature that lets me find songs in similar vein, or released at the same time, as a song in my memory.

I eat less. Now, lest you think I’m depriving myself, I will tell you that I mostly snack and it’s not always healthy. But when I’m alone, there is no “social eating” for the sake of sharing a meal with someone. Buying groceries just for me ensures I don’t buy a treat for someone else that I’ll end up eating too. I don’t snack at night to unwind with anyone. I decide when I’m done for the day, which is usually when I’m done writing. All in all, my eating habits are better when I’m not taking anyone else into account.

My March Harlequin Desire
I dance more. Some of this has to do with having more music around me, of course. I’m more inspired now that the new stereo is at work! But I’m also a little freer with my movements knowing there’s no one else around. If the music calls for a poorly executed pirouette while I’m cooking, I go for it. If I want a Friday night dance party hour, that’s fun too.

All these things have been good for my psyche during a trying time. Embracing my personal joys has helped me feel more content while I miss my friends and hugs from family members. I miss travel and road trips, meals out and people watching. But extraordinary times call for different measures, so I’m diving deep into what I can do to feel more content.

I’ve got a copy of my March book HEARTBREAKER to share with one random commenter. How are you handling the increased isolation? Is the alone time getting to you, or have you been finding some new joys to help you through? Share with me and I’ll announce a random winner from all the comments next week.  

9 comments:

Kay Garrett said...

We are retired so being at home is something we are use to. I considered it a blessing when hubby retired and was going to be home with me. Many friends thought that was a horrible idea. However, we are not only husband and wife for 37 years, but we are best friends. We are happy together, but can also allow the other personal time and space. We have like interests and enjoy the same foods. I guess it is true that the older you get the more alike you become. :)

Having medical issues, we had decided to travel and see this countries wonderful sights while I could manage the trips. We had planned for over a year for our trip to Utah to see all the national parks there. We had ever detail planned out since traveling with a pet means even more attention to detail than just physical abilities. Like everyone else, our plans got blown out of the water. Maybe next year - time will tell both on the world situation any my health.

Although we might not have been on a trip last month or seeing the sights of Utah, thanks to our love of photography and joy of spending time together, we have found all the beauty of nature and critters on our small plot of land in the Ozark Mountains. We forget about the beauty around us thinking we had to travel afar to see great sights. We've enjoyed our times on the front porch trying to capture the birds that migrate through as well as those that hang around all year, the bees pollinating the clover, and the deer, rabbits, fox and bobcat among a host of others as they come to visit us daily among many other sights and delights right here on our property.

We have planted our first garden in several years after downsizing and moving here three years ago. Hubby loves the work part and I love the canning and cooking part so between us we enjoy every aspect of it. We now have little baby tomatoes that we both can't wait to enjoy the flavors of fresh from earth to table as well as squash and peppers. The flower beds are full of little plants we grew from seeds and are about to burst with color for us to enjoy and take more photos of.

We have always communicated well, but this extra time at home has taught us to not only talk, but to listen in those conversations. Making our marriage stronger and more rewarding. It's great to wake up each day happy to see the one you love and happy to be able to spend time together.

Although I would love for the world situation to be different, I'm happy for the lessons I've learned and continue to learn. Life is precious and time is a gift you get to use but once. So, I, for one, plan to use it to the best of my ability and enjoy each and every day for the glorious present it is.
2clowns at arkansas dot net

dstoutholcomb said...

While you look at the world in a positive light, you're not oblivious, and that's the difference.

I love that you're enjoying life, music, dancing, being the you you want to be. I might even be a tad jealous. :)

I was not social eating before this, but with my husband and two of my sons around, I am. Even if I'm not snacking, I'm still eating more food. Ugh. I have no free space. I miss my routine, even if it was just the hours when kids and my husband weren't home. I was finally getting my creative bug going, submissions, and all that is gone. There's no escape. lol

I have found I can have some peace from 2am-4am, but it's not healthy to be awake then.

d

Eileen AW said...

Life is not much difference since I'm retired except that I miss getting together with my friends for our monthly lunch get together and getting out of the house. I've work on organizing my bookcases, sewing more and reading a lot more. I'm seldom alone as my hubby is home during the day and my youngest still lives with us. Thanks for the chance.

Mary Preston said...

My life is not that much different either. Being a home-body life just chugs along happily. Happy to stay home safely and read and knit.

traveler said...

Since the disruption in early March I have been looking after my 6 & 8 year old grandsons everyday. I used to pick them up from school and stay with them until their parents arrived home from work. Busy and involved. We used to concentrate on school work, read and then play outside in the backyard. Today I am off which means I catch up with things I have neglected an need to attend to. Summer is here npw so there will be more activities.

Joanne Rock said...

Kay G, what a beautiful post... as heartwarming as any blog I visit! I'm so glad you're finding joys in your back yard. I miss gardening a bit. Having grown up on a vegetable farm, the smell of earth and growing things has happy associations for me, mostly related to my father who found happiness in that life. I like the cooking part, too! Now I'm craving homemade roasted tomato soup. Thank you for taking the time to paint this picture of where you are right now. I can feel the contentment!

Joanne Rock said...

Denise, I can vividly recall periods of my life feeling this way-- like there was no time for my brain to wander and be quiet, which is really necessary for me to create. It's not easy to articulate this need either, because it's not simply a matter of a two hour block of time. Sometimes, to make that two hour block of time productive, you need three hours before that to do quiet-minded busy work of another sort to get your creative brain working. I know I do. Finding creative "flow" is a different process for everyone, and I think the mental gymnastics we go through to reach it can sound far-fetched to people who don't pursue creative arts. Also, it doesn't help that sometimes our best work is done while-- to a casual observer-- it appears we are doing absolutely nothing ;-). The writing is easy. It's the thinking that's hard! Here's hoping life calms down for you and your Muse soon.

Joanne Rock said...

Eileen, I missed my monthly book club meetings so much. Two weeks ago we had a socially distant front yard visit and it was so nice to see everyone's face and hear their voices in person. The mosquitoes came out, but I gladly took the bites for the chance at social time!

Joanne Rock said...

Cheers to traveler, winner of the prize! All you need to do is message me privately at jrock008@gmail.com to arrange for shipping (if US resident) or digital download. Thank you all for stopping by the blog!