Pages

Monday, March 02, 2020

Blending Genres by Susan Sands

I'm currently writing a contemporary Christmas romance. Or I'm supposed to be. The other books in
the Alabama series are a blend of women's fiction and romance, which means there are other storylines and concerns within the stories. They are less firmly focused on the main couple's romance than what I'm writing this time and include many more characters and details of their lives.

With this latest work in progress, I must control the urge to stray from the couple's romance. It's like writer's attention deficit. I get distracted by all the pretty things I want to explore along the way. Like the characters who are becoming so incredibly interesting and fun. I feel compelled to give them more time on the page and explore their lives. But that's what one does in women's fiction. This is about the amazing main characters. This is a focused, deep dive into their story. Yes, there are other important people in their lives but I've got to stick to the task at hand. The word count is less, so it's imperative I get the story wrapped up by New Years.

Because this is the fifth book in the Alabama "series," it will feel similar. If I do this well enough, it's likely my readers might notice but hopefully won't mind the lack of cast members. This book will be a slightly cleaner read, not that I overdo sex and profanity. I'm having to do some editing when I let a four letter word slip from time to time on the page. Weirdly, it's a good story and honestly dang instead of damn doesn't change the context of how it reads.

In the end, I feel like this book will land in the column of mostly contemporary romance with a touch of women's fiction instead of a fifty/fifty blend. I'm hoping it's still a hit with my readers and that I gain more.

Sorry I'm late posting today! Wash your hands, everyone, and don't touch your face!

Susan


5 comments:

Patricia Bennett Barber said...

Can't wait to read this book!!!

Susan Sands said...

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!!❤️

dstoutholcomb said...

I"m sure it will be wonderful!

denise

Susan Sands said...

Thanks so much, Denise!!

Unknown said...

Do you realize there is a 12 word sentence you can say to your partner... that will trigger intense emotions of love and impulsive attractiveness for you buried inside his heart?

Because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, idolize and guard you with all his heart...

====> 12 Words Will Fuel A Man's Love Response

This impulse is so built-in to a man's genetics that it will drive him to try harder than ever before to to be the best lover he can be.

In fact, triggering this all-powerful impulse is absolutely binding to getting the best ever relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

...You will immediately notice him expose his soul and mind to you in a way he haven't experienced before and he'll see you as the only woman in the world who has ever truly fascinated him.