Pages

Friday, September 27, 2019

Power to Encourage

"It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop." --Confucius


            I don’t claim to be a wise old crone, but nothing reminds me of how long I’ve been in the writing business faster than speaking to a writing group. Earlier this month I had the pleasure of speaking to the Tampa RWA chapter about tropes and series romance. It was a fun topic, and the group was a supportive, engaged audience. 

            The joy of events like this continue after the formal topic is done and I have the chance to speak with members of the group individually. Writers begin sharing more about their journeys, and firing questions of all kinds. We talk about the writing process, the drive to maintain creativity, the tricks behind writing synopses, but most importantly, we talk about persistence.

            Because by and large, I hope that’s what I offer people attending workshops that I give—reminders of how big a role tenacity plans in what we do. I hope that through my own tale of persistence (six full manuscripts, a partial and at least five synopses for other stories completed before I ever sold a single word I wrote) will provide some inspiration for writers who are drowning in rejections. Not many of us get to that first sale without wading through those waters. It can be disheartening. Creatively draining. But it’s truly part of the process.

            That’s the point of the workshop where I feel the wisest. Not because I know a lot about
tropes, or series, or any single point of craft. But I do know what that slog through rejection feels like. I’ve been there, fending off complete demoralization with nothing but blind faith and a good dose of stubbornness. It takes grit to keep writing in spite of the odds, to keep teaching yourself and flexing the writing muscle to improve. I remember that what helped keep my feet on the path were the occasional tales from the trenches from other authors who took many years and many manuscripts to make that first sale.

            So more than any writing wisdom, I hope that I pass along some of that courage in the face of rejection. I hope that I'm inspiring a certain level of persistence. If I succeed at this, I’ve given a truly valuable a gift. Finding the courage to believe in your dreams is hard to come by, but we close ourselves off to too many wonderful possibilities if we don’t keep taking steps to achieve them.



*** From a pep talk for a girlfriend to a heart-to-heart with a nervous child, we all take on the role of mentor and cheerleader sometimes in or lives.  When was the last time you exercised your power to encourage someone in their goals? I'll give one random poster an advance copy of book 1 in my new Dynasties: Mesa Falls series, The Rebel!

8 comments:

Timitra said...

Yesterday, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I think I did myself! To better explain, a loved one was in a bad situation. One, he got himself into. I didn't know what the outcome would be but I knew it wouldn't be good. So, I kept to myself thinking.... think the worst and hope for the better. What ever happens it won't be so bad! It ended up being better!!! 9 months was a lot better than 30 years!!!! The time went by fast and its now all in the distant past. All is right again. Pam

Beverly s said...

I have a question. Since you have had some manuscripts rejected Did you go back and change them to resubmit or did you toss them out? Have you reworked any of your past rejections into current manuscripts?

dstoutholcomb said...

My friend Kimberly and I try to give each other daily affirmations and pep talks, as needed.

Fedora said...

Pretty recently--it's a blessing to be able to encourage someone else, and to give them a little nudge when they might be feeling down. Sometimes progress towards our goals is slower than we want, and a kind word can keep us heading in the right direction.

Joanne Rock said...

Beverly, I reworked those old manuscripts later in my career, once I had a better sense of my voice and career direction. I ended up reworking them in reverse order that I wrote them-- in other words, the fifth manuscript that I wrote was an easier revision than the first book I ever wrote. That first book had the most problems and needed the most amount of work! But I did go back and sell those early stories eventually.

Joanne Rock said...

Denise, my closest friend and I try not to have a bad day on the same days so that one of us can always pick the other one up!!

Joanne Rock said...

Cheers to Beverly S, winner of The Rebel! Beverly, all you need to do is email at jrock008@gmail.com with your mailing address and I'll put the book in the mail for you asap! Thank you all for visiting with me this week :-)