Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Eve Gaddy: Yes, No, Maybe. No Way!

I was talking about writing to my daughter Diana (a non-writer) the other day. I commented that it was funny to me that one day I'll be writing something thinking the entire time, "This is crap. This is awful. Why did I ever think I could write? This is the most boring thing ever written in the history of the world." Nevertheless, I keep at it, then shut down the computer--or more likely, the program--without looking at it again.

The next day I force myself to read over it and I think, "This is pretty good. Not bad at all. Wonder why I thought the same piece of writing was so bad yesterday?"

It also can happen that I'm writing what I'm sure is a masterpiece, sniffling or laughing or just pleased that the words are flowing like magic from my fingers. The next day I might think the same piece of writing is merely decent. (If I thought it was great the first time I usually don't hate it the next day, but I don't always see the brilliance.:)



My question is, why do I do that? What changes overnight? It's not the writing. I fairly certain a gremlin doesn't come in there and change crap to magic. Although that's an intriguing idea for a book. Hmm.

Where was I? Oh, yes, what changes? Attitude? Mood? I suspect that has a lot to do with it. Or is it just the complexities of the writer mind?

It's not just writers. I don't know about men, but I know for a fact women do this about clothes. You put on jeans and a new top. "I look good. Yeah, this shirt is flattering. I feel great." Then the next day, you put on the same outfit and think, "Ugh. Hide the mirror. Why did I buy this thing? What in the world possessed me to think this looked good?"


Attitude? Mood? Beats the heck out of me. In the words of Shakespeare in Love, "It's a mystery."

Have you had this happen to you? What do you think is the answer? 
One commenter will win an e-book of my brand new romantic suspense, Last Shot, which will be out any day now. (It will be on Amazon first and then some time later the other platforms, so if you want it quickly it will need to be Kindle.)  

**Please add your email address to your comment so we can get in touch with you soon!

Thanks for having me, Lee!



4 comments:

uniquecus said...

Yeah we are our worst critics as we put too much pressure on ourselves.
mayipyoung@gmail.com

dstoutholcomb said...

We live in a world where women are judged differently than men, so we react in the way we are judged--full of emotion and passion.

Anonymous said...

Oh, timing, given I just had to clean up a book written 20 years ago. I was appalled at some of the stuff. But at least I can say I've learned so much since!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting. Justine, sometimes older stuff is pretty cringe-inducing.:)