Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Debra Kayn: Why Do I Write Bikers?

The big question from everyone is, "Why do I write bikers?"  

I usually smile, because I've always known bikers. Readers always seem surprised to find out that my life was cool even before Sons of Anarchy showed up as a weekly television show.

I learned to ride my first motorcycle at four years of age. My dad and all my brothers rode, and being the only girl didn't stop me from wanting to ride too. So, at four years old, I decided to twist the throttle and leave my dad (who was walking beside me while I sat on the bike) behind as I rode his motorcycle down the street by myself. Then I met my husband, and bikes have always been a part of our lives. It's normal to have a motorcycle in the basement or in our living room, instead of the garage. It doesn't hit me that it might not be normal, until I have company over.

As for writing about bikers, I wrote my first biker romance series back in 2008. I was a new author, bending to the influence of what was popular, and wrote what everyone expected in a biker series. It's adorable, romantic, and very mainstream. The series has seen two publishers and still available today.

But, I had reached a point in my career where I had gained a lot of readers, published over 20 books, and decided that I needed to write what I love, what is a part of my everyday life. That's how the Bantorus MC series came about. I let my fictional bikers be the men I know in real life,  who talk the way bikers talk, act the way bikers act, love the woman in their life the way I've seen and experienced, and though they might be too alpha, too strong, too stubborn, and a little bad…club and family is about real life. It's about my life.


In Debra Kayn's newest biker romance novel, Torque Kendler, Sergeant at Arms of Bantorus MC fights to keep his past hidden, while protecting the one woman who's capable of bringing chaos down on Pitnam out of desperation and love.

Torque Kendler, Sergeant at Arms of the Bantorus Motorcycle club, tenaciously safeguards his marked past. Shot twice by Los Li and nearly killed last year, he wants to hold on to the familiar and retain his freedom. However, there are too many changes happening in Pitnam for him to trust anyone…especially the new chick managing the bar that's giving him attitude and consuming his thoughts.

Sent by Los Li to work at a biker bar called Cactus Cove, Brandy Haas expects to get the information she came for and save her dad from the Mexican mafia. Worried about her dad, struggling at her job, and scared of failing again, she adds to her problems by lusting after the most dangerous biker in the MC. One biker, one hothead, one wonderful gift Torque unknowingly gives her could destroy everything she's trying to protect.


Top Selling Romance Author, Debra Kayn, lives with her family at the foot of the Bitterroot Mountains in beautiful Idaho. She enjoys riding motorcycles, playing tennis, fishing, and creating chaos for the men in the garage. 
Her love of family ties and laughter makes her a natural to write heartwarming contemporary stories to the delight of her readers. Oh, let's cut to the chase. She loves to write about REAL MEN and the WOMEN who love them.
When Debra was nineteen years old, a man kissed her without introducing himself. When they finally came up for air, the first words out of his mouth were…will you have my babies? Considering Debra's weakness for a sexy, badass man, who is strong enough to survive her attitude, she said yes. A quick wedding at the House of Amour and four babies later, she's living her own unbelievable romance book.


No comments: