Pages

Thursday, July 09, 2009

What Book Should I Read?

I have a summer cold, though I have been telling myself that it is allergies, as if that somehow minimizes the yuck. For some reason, I find sniffling in the summer far more egregious than in the winter. I would like to crawl up under a blanket on the couch and read books, or watch my Netflixed Lost in Austen DVDS.

For that matter, I would like to get a little lost in Austen myself. Wouldn't you?



But I digress. My problem is that for some reason, I cannot manage to find a single book on my towering to-be-read pile. I'm not looking for a specific book. I just want one that will yank me in and make me forget that I can't breathe through my nose and my throat hurts and I can't stop coughing. Is that so much to ask?

What book would you recommend? It can be old or new. It just has to be amazing. I can't wait to read your suggestions!

5 comments:

Chris said...

I hope you feel better soon!

I just finished reading Deirdre Knight's The Butterfly Tattoo (Samhain, ebook only) and it was AMAZING.

EllenToo said...

Sorry you are feeling so bad but I can't think of a single book that would yank me in and make me forget if I felt as bad as you do. My solution to that problem is to take some medicine that is sure to put me to sleep.

mslizalou said...

Hope you feel better soon. I normally can't focus enough to read when I feel that bad. I really loved Fade to Black by Leslie Parrish(romantic suspense) and Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James(cont. romance). Both were great in very different ways.

Lee said...

Feel better soon! Colds are no fun.. :(

I haven't seen the Lost In Austen series - I'm guessing though, that it's a really good one? I'm a huge Jane Austen fan so I'll have to check it out.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend Mary Balogh's Then Comes Seduction. I love anything by Mary Balogh and another favorite is Loretta Chase.

I also recommend some nice hot chicken soup - for your cold! :)

Alison said...

I have a pile of books I can read at any time, over and over again. They include 'Pride and Prejudice', 'My Family and other animals' by Gerald Durrell and 'The First Hundred Thousand' by Ian Hay, about soldiers on the Front in WWI. I know, a bizarre mix, but I enjoy the worlds they create.