Pages

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Starting early - Amanda Ashby

On the new year's resolutions that is. Because the time has come for me to turn over a new leaf. A new cooking leaf. Now, I'm normally known as the girl who can burn anything (hey, I'm an Aries and I have no time for all that slow cooking business. Crank up the heat and blast that food, that's what I say), but this is going to be a thing of the past. From now on I'm going to become a regular Nigella. I can see it now. There will be fancy sauces. There will be fresh herbs. There will be delicious tantalizing smells that will confuse my husband and make him wonder if he's walked into the right house. In fact, I can even see myself staying up late to lovingly make muesli bars for the kids' lunch boxes.

Okay, so maybe I won't go that far, but I really do want to try this cooking lark to see if there is something I can do to make myself enjoy it, since there are a lot of days in the year which means a lot of dinners to be cooked and right now I face it with the same enthusiasm as scrubbing the grime rings off the bath. Plus, while I might not be a cooking fan, I'm a big fan of the old eating so I figure it will be a win/win.

My only other resolution is that when my next book Zombie Queen of Newbury High comes out in March that I don't check my Amazon ranking every hour of everyday.

Hmmm. Yeah, so it should be an interesting year!

So, two questions. First up, what are your resolutions for next year and secondly, what are you favorite cook books, because, let's face it, I'm going to need all the help I can get!!!!

6 comments:

Maureen said...

My husband and I share cooking duties and we mostly use The Joy of Cooking and Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. We also get many recipes from the internet.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I don't do resolutions, but I did make a list of goals last year...I still have to evaluate those to see what I'll be up to in 2009 ;)

As for cookbooks, if you like Italian, Barnes & Noble published an Italian Cooking Encyclopedia years ago that I got as a gift before I moved here and it is *wonderful* full of great, easy recipes :)

Amanda Ashby said...

Oh thanks Maureen and Michelle. I'm making notes for when I go to spend my gift voucher! Wish me luck!!

Helen said...

Amanda great post I very rarely make New Years resolutions but this time I am determined to eat healthy and loose some weight I have two grandchildren already and two more due this week and I really need more energy to keep up with them LOL.

As for cook books I have just found one that is called 4 ingredients and although I haven't tried anything out of it yet it is very good and the receipes are easy and yes they all have only 4 ingredients in them.

Have Fun
Helen

Gina said...

Check out Rachel Ray cook books. Very Easy to follow

Jane said...

My favorite cookbook is "In Nirmala's Kitchen."