Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

Eve Gaddy: Writers' Magic

Writers are a fun group. When we get together, be it at a conference or a retreat, or just lunch with friends, we talk. Sure, we talk about our families and what's going on in the real world, but we talk about our books. A lot. No one understands a writer better than another writer.

My family is used to me by now, but my daughter is still amused to hear my friends and me talking about our characters as if they are real. To us they are. Otherwise they wouldn't be nearly as much fun to write about.

I think there is something in the air at a writers conference that promotes creativity. Perhaps it's being able to plot and talk in person. As my friends know, I have to talk about my books before the story gels for me. Unlike some of my friends--you know who you are--I like talking on the phone. I like FaceTime a lot too. But nothing beats talking in person. The creative sparks fly, ideas flow and sometimes, especially if we're tired, we come up with the craziest stories.


Plotting on airplanes is fun. You have to be careful, though. Once I was plotting Just One Night aka 'the bomb book' on an airplane with my friend and writer buddy, Lenora Worth.


The heroine is a bomb unit detective, the hero her prime suspect in a bombing. Since we were on the plane we couldn't say the word 'bomb'. We finally came up with 'that big thing that happened.'

Another time my writer buddy, Julia Justiss, and I plotted an entire Regency Urban Fantasy series on the way home from a conference. That's a series I can't wait for Julia to write.

The last two conferences I went to were RWA --Romance Writers of America-- in New York City and Novelists Inc.--Ninc--in St. Pete Beach in Florida. I'm writing a new Romantic Suspense series and I talked about it at both conferences. I still don't have it figured out. I think I'm just going to have to start writing and hope there's a little magic left over from the conferences to help me along.

My most recent release is The Billionaire's Charade, Book 5 of the Amalfi Night Billionaires series. (I love this cover.:)


I plotted some of that with two of the other authors of the series, Nancy Robards Thompson and Mimi Wells. At Junior's Restaurant in NYC. (Junior's has the most incredible cheesecake, which I'm positive lends greatly to creativity. And adds to the waistline, alas.) It is also loud. Extremely loud. Which made discussing books interesting.

Check out all the books in the series.
The Billionaire's Temptation (Book 1) by Katherine Garbera
The Billionaire's Deception (Book 2) by Mimi Wells
The Billionaire's Betrayal (Book 3) by Nancy Robards Thompson
The Billionaire's Secret (Book 4) by Kathleen O'Brien
The Billionaire's Charade (Book 5) by Eve Gaddy

5 comments:

Nancy Robards Thompson said...

Eve, it was such fun plotting the Billionaire book with you! Junior's cheesecake + good company = plotting magic. :)

dstoutholcomb said...

I was a a restaurant with my local Plot Sister discussing her cozy mystery and plotting a murder in it. We were glad no one was close by to overhear us. lol.

Denise

Unknown said...

You're so right, Nancy!:)

Denise--Starbucks has also heard some interesting conversations.:)

Kathleen O'Brien said...

The plotting session sounds like so much fun! Now I'm extra bummed to have missed the conference. No one warned me there would be cheesecake! :) Can't wait to read the new one!

Unknown said...

We missed you too, Kathleen! But we ate some cheesecake for you.:)