Earlier this year, I sold my first Presents to Harlequin and fulfilled a life long dream of becoming a romance writer. Hooray! What could be better than writing Presents--yummy alpha heroes and exotic locations, emotional intensity and love love love. Oh yes, and very important Life Lessons.
Here are some things I have learned while writing Presents:
1. How to put my hair into a chignon, like any decent heroine. I feel that this is a life skill, and everyone knows that alpha heroes are attracted to excellent hair. If I could only master the French twist, I feel certain my husband would transform overnight into a Greek shipping magnate or Italianate prince. Wouldn't he?
2. How to wander aimlessly, yet fetchingly. This is very important, especially if while doing so, I am also thinking about the nature of love or, say, the deep emotional conflict that keeps me from melting into my hero's arms. And of course, one never wanders aimlessly about the house, neatening things and/or performing housework. It is much more affecting (and likely to lead to love) to do one's wandering, say, down the Champs Elysées or alongside the cerulean waters of a Mediterranean island.
3. How to have sex while using only euphemisms. The more euphemisms, the better the sex.
4. How to carry on torrid affairs and have desperate emotional low points while clad in the finest of gowns, the more diaphanous the better. Bonus points for tiaras. Triple bonus points if said gown turns into the cover image on a Presents novel.
5. How to fall in love, Presents-style. My husband has asked me to please stop manufacturing emotional conflict with him over dinner, as he finds it interferes with his digestion. But I know the truth: the more outrageous the conflict, the more we will fall in love with each other and the better our happily ever after.
Of course, all of this pales in comparison to what I've learned as a Presents reader. What about you? How have you brought a little Presents into your lives?
Tell me in the comments--and look for my first Presents: Pure Princess,Bartered Bride-- coming next February!