Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Perfect Day--Michelle Monkou



Tell me about your perfect day...I know there may be lots ways, but share one.

Because, I plan to share what was a perfect day for me.

Last Friday, after several days of nonstop rain, the sun broke through and the temperature rose to about 70. As I got in my car for the 1 1/2 hour drive to a booksigning, I couldn't have planned better weather. The bright blue, cloudless sky put me in a great mood.

So off I went to Boonsboro, MD to sign at a cozy bookstore called Turn The Page. The store happens to be owned by Bruce Wilder. I parked and said hi to fellow author Donna Kauffman. Once we entered the signing area where the walls are a minty green and filled with local artists work, there are also other authors taking their seats. I spied my table, but I wonder why someone "dumped" a bunch of Nora Roberts books at my table. Then I started hunting down where I should sit at the other tables. But my books weren't there. My books were at the table where the Nora dump seemed to be. Strange.


Then Bruce comes in to get us ready for the eager customers. So in walks Nora who gives her hubby, Bruce, her special request - diet Pepsi and then sits at MY table. Yeah I know, it's more like I was at HER table. But it's my story. So for the next three hours, we signed, smiled, chatted with over a hundred Noraholics from the local area and as far away as Essex, England.

P.C. Cast, Carla Neggars, Darlene Gardner, Mary Blayney, Sofia Nash were a few of the other authors. And boy, did we have fun.

From my vantage point, I spied this woman outside taking a picture of a gold plated sign on a street lamp immediately outside the store. After I couldn't take it anymore, I asked someone what was she doing. I discovered that Nora's foundation donated the street lamps on Main Street. The plaque had her name on it.

Then across the street, the new Inn BoonsBoro (owned by Nora with themed-rooms inspired by famous literary couples) sat invitingly with its bright white porch and brick front. Some of the authors had stayed there and loved it. I can't wait to make a weekend getaway.
Once the signing was done, I jumped in my car and headed to the next stop -- Washington Romance Writers retreat in Leesburg, VA. Now my perfect day would culminate into the perfect weekend.

As a writer, I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my time. In the company of writers is like being around old friends.

Share your perfect day and a random winner will get my current release - Only In Paradise.


Michelle




8 comments:

housemouse88 said...

Hello Michelle,

My perfect day consists of no household chores to do, someone else taking care of the puppy pad, cooking, dishes, etc. So, I can spend the day reading my TBR pile and a nice long bubble bath. Have a great day.

Michelle Monkou said...

Housemouse88

That sounds freakin' fantastic!!!

Michelle

Becky said...

My perfect day consist of spending some time with a friend. Also have some free time to myself at home so I can read or catch up on a craft project that I started.

robynl said...

My perfect day was last Saturday. It started with my getting off at 7 a.m. from work and the day was promising lovely weather. I went home and got dh up and we went to the local skating rink where an auction was being held. I spied several items I wanted dh to bid on and we even ended up getting them.
We then went for lunch to the local diner and went home where I proceded to get some sleep.

Unknown said...

My perfect day happened a few weeks ago. My sister, 2 friends, and I went to the local park because there are tennis courts there and a nature trail. The weather was sunny with a nice cool breeze, in other words, LOVELY. We played tennis, making fools of our inexperienced selves while having fun, and to get some other exercise, we walked the trail. The trail goes over one of the local highways at one point, and being my first time going across it, it was exhilarating. We also took goofy pictures of ourselves and just had an awesome time.

What it boils down to is that I don't need to do something extravagent to have a perfect day. All I need is a family member or a good friend, and laughs. And it always means the world to me.

Sorry I blabbed. lol

Helen said...

Your day was amazing Michelle

My perfect day is just like housemouse88 no housework just a great day coffee Tim Tams and a good book I do love those kinda days I wish I had more of them

Have Fun
Helen

Michelle Monkou said...

Some of my best times are with my buddies, laughing and talking until the wee hours of the morning.

Any quiet time with dh is good because there are so few quiet times, lately.

I've also got add that getting a fab massage can be the answer too.

Michelle

Unknown said...

My perfect day would be going to my sisters house and spending the day and going out to lunch with her. Coming home and not having to do anything but read. No cooking or cleaning, laundry or anything like that. I think I would enjoy this.