Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

First Books


Usually I try to talk about something non-writing related when I blog here, but today I decided not to do that. Instead, I'm going to talk about how just how excited I am that October is around the corner.


I'm a brand new author, whose first book sold about sixteen months ago. I mention this now because, finally, after months and months and months of waiting, it's almost time for me to see that same book on the shelves. My first novel, A Christmas Wedding, is a November Harlequin Superromance release-- and while it doesn't actually hit the stores until November, it's available for presale at eharlequin on the first of October-- which is just a few days from now! Needless to say, I figure I'll spend more than a few hours gazing at the cover fondly as I try to wrap my mind around the fact that it's actually FOR SALE!!!!!!


I bring this up for a couple of reasons-- one, because it's all I've been thinking about for the last few days (which pretty much squashed any ideas I had on blogging about fall-- especially since it's still 100 degrees here in Texas) and two, because I think an author's first book is a really special thing. I've sold six other books in the year since I sold this one, and though I am excited about all of them-- including the ones I haven't finished writing yet-- not one of them compares to the excitement and joy I feel when I think about this one. I mean, when I got the phone call from my then editor, Beverley Sotolov saying she wanted to buy the book, I actually cried-- shocking both myself and my husband, as I've never been much of a crier.


But dreams are funny things, and you never know just how you're going to react when they finally come true. I've wanted to be a published author from the time I was seven years old-- in fact, trained for it all through college and grad school-- and to finally have my dreams so close to becoming reality is a truly amazing thing.


So how about you? What dreams have you had come true? Which ones are you still waiting on?


Don't forget to check out Lightning Strike, the prequel to A Christmas Wedding. It goes up as a free, daily, online read at eharlequin.com on October 13th.

5 comments:

Estella said...

I have my dream---a family, home and retirement!

Dina said...

Congrats Tracy.

Sadly I don't have many dreams, reality usualy gets in the way.

Jennifer Y. said...

This book sounds really good!

I am still waiting for many of my dreams to come true...okay, most of them. I haven't had many that have come true. I'd love to have my own family (husband and children), a good job, a nice house, etc.

I did finally get to travel to California for RWA this year...that was a bit of a dream come true.

Tracy Deebs said...

I'm so glad, estella. Hang in there, dina-- reality got in my way for a lot of years too. And Jennifer-- the husband and family come when you're least expecting them. That's when they came for me ;)

robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.