Pages

Friday, December 27, 2019

Pass the Optimism, Please

by Joanne Rock


As we close out a year and a decade, I’ve already started thinking about what’s on my To Do list for New Year’s resolutions—New Year’s Goals, really, since I tend to think about where I want to head next whenever the calendar changes.

The past year was a rough one for me, leeching away some of my hopes and faith in people, leaving holes in my heart. I’ve spent months trying to patch myself back together, pushing away old hurts to breathe deep and focus on the things I can control in life—my perspective, my projects, the people I let close to me. Sometimes, that’s all you can do after a loss. Put one foot in front of the other and keep moving.

But as the year comes to an end, I find I want to do more than just keep moving. In 2020, I’d like to patch up my weary soul and restore some of the optimism I seem to have lost. Unfortunately, that’s a goal that doesn’t come to fruition just by speaking the wish aloud. How do I recapture the old joy after a year of hurts?

First, I plan to unplug. Not right away, as I have work commitments to honor and I need to be online while I see those through. But once the bulk of my professional obligations have been met, I hope to take a hiatus from social media and even my phone. Remember the days before cell phones when you could go for a hike in the woods without anyone knowing where you were for the day? Granted, there is a reassuring sense of safety that comes with a cell tower signal. But there is also a sense of anonymity and adventure that is lost by being reachable 24/7. I think it would do me good to turn off the phone, disconnect, and just BE for a little while. I’ve looked outward for a long time, reaching my hand out to others whenever I could, and I’ve enjoyed that. But while I’m refilling the emotional well, I think focusing on just me could be helpful.

After that, I plan to re-nest. I’ve moved a lot in the past few years, and I think the merry-go-round of homes is a tangible reflection of the pieces of myself I’ve misplaced. I’d like to regroup in a physical way even as I regroup emotionally. I plan to find a home and lovingly remake it into my own space for a new phase of my life. My bedroom will be a place to invite good dreams. My workspace will be a place to invite stories in a way to encourage my Muse. Old things I don’t need will be re-homed and I want to store away as a little as possible. I’m going to create a clean, lean space that reflects me.

Next, I plan to travel, but not so much with a focus on places as on people. I have made many wonderful friends over the years, and some of them I haven’t seen in decades. I plan to reconnect with people I love by showing up in their hometowns and asking them to hang out with me. I’m calling it my Grand Tour. I don’t know how many people I’ll get to see this year, but even just seeing one or two friends so I can enjoy those old connections again feels like it would be spiritually renewing. I can’t wait for that part of the plan to happen.

Finally, through it all, I hope to be present to all the little moments I can be. My sons are grown, so I can now focus on me in a way that I haven’t in years. I loved my time with my boys at home, but now I will need to start loving this new phase of my life as it presents me with different opportunities and different people. I’m going to embrace the newness and find out what I can do to make the world a better place, or a happier place, with my time and talents. I’m trusting the universe to put those opportunities in my path.
Available 2/1/20

That’s my 2020! A new adventure. A new decade. A soul renewed. But it all starts with giving thanks for what I’ve learned up to this moment—even down to the hurtful things that have taught me what I’m made of. No one gets through this life unscathed, even optimists like me. Today, I feel weary. But I know that by year’s end, I will have wonderful new things to be thankful for, and it all starts with a plan for change. Cheers to you in the New Year, my friends. Thank you for reading my books and sharing my stories. I hope 2020 brings you all good things.

**What are you doing New Year’s Eve? Will you be mulling over the year to come? Smooching a loved one at midnight? Share with me and I’ll give one random poster an advance copy of RULE BREAKER, book 3 in my Mesa Falls series from Harlequin Desire.

32 comments:

Timitra said...

Working on my vision board, thank you!

Steph C said...

I’ll be smooching my hubby on NY Eve but bringing our son home from the hospital earlier in the day so he can Ring in the new year with his family 💚🥰

Terri Hebert said...

I’ll be spending it with my kids, it’s my youngest son’s birthday, so we’ll be popping fireworks & eating birthday cake !

Anonymous said...

I'm with Doug and Mandy every new year's. I don't want to be out where people have been drinking and driving!

Laura Otten said...

Working and spending time with daughter and granddaughter watching movies

girlfromwva said...

will be having New Year's lunch with my 4 grown kids. will be home with my bf to ring in the New Year. with the start of the new decade, will be focusing on a new goal with a new attitude.

algebra911 said...

This year for New Year's, I will probably be celebrating with some friends (if they can stay awake - 2 small children). Or, I'll just be at home watching movies. I don't have a bf so no one to snuggle with - maybe I'll make that my New Year's resolution - to find one.

Redgmab said...

We will be celebrating with some of our friends with dinner and a movie. Wishing you a better and peaceful new year! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you find yourself again!

Joanne Rock said...

>>Wishing you a better and peaceful new year! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you find yourself again!>>

Thank you so much for that. It's been the kind of year where I'm glad to soak up all the hugs I can!

Readindiva said...

I will be spending it with loved ones, playing games and watching movies all night long with a prayer of thanks at midnight.

Donamae Kutska said...

Baby sitting my granddaughters Alice and Bellemere

sandy haber said...

Will be trying to keep my hubby awake while we wait for the ball to fall in Times Square. Not sure which emcee we'll be watching yet. Hopefully it'll be the right one, one who'll help forget all the nonsense that's gone on this past few months.

Brenda chambers said...

Plan on losing weight this year to get healthy

Susan said...

Bill and I are both working New Years - I will spend midnight with my littlest - last year was such a busy year full of milestones that I plan on making 2020 mire about relaxing and enjoying my family. Aruba is planned to celebrate our one year and a family two week vacation camping with my boys. Taking a break from working so hard to recapture some of the joys in life - embracing my family . And well more time for reading and yoga...

Tina R said...

Happy Holidays, Joanne!
I can't wait to read this story! I'll be spending New Year's Eve at home with my kids and watching the ball drop on the TV while my hubby works the overnight shift in the ER. I'll watch the Mummer's Parade and reading on New Year's Day.

Linda May said...

I'll be spending it with my friend at her apartment we will order in and I have a bottle of Asti Spumante to open up. Thanks for your great generosity.

Kay Garrett said...

This year has been a mixture of both ends of the scale for me. There were wonderful highlights like getting to take a wonderful trip to see some of this nations parks as well as pitfalls - most of them medically. Seems when I think all that could happen is behind me something else rears it's head to through me for a loop. The latest one is another one with long term problems and learning how to eat all over again and having to give up a lot of foods I once enjoyed, but with baby steps this too I will conquer. I end this year with more longings of what's up next and less regrets on things of the past so guess it's all good. Thankful for our precious 15 year old chihuahua furbaby is doing well on his insulin routine and that hubby's Mom at 90 is on the mend in rehab.

New Year's Eve will have hubby and I sitting at home, but honestly there's no other place I'd rather be - especially in the winter. Blessed to have a roof over our heads (a very nice one at that), food in the pantry (we should all be so fortunate) and a loving husband to share it with. I truly am blessed. We do usually make a special meal for New Years Day and don't know what they will be yet, BUT I do know what we will have for dessert. Hubby's Dad was born on December 23rd and mine on December 31 of the same year - 1919. They would have both been 100 this year. The New Year was always brought in when I was a kid in celebration of my Dad's birthday more so than the new year. To this day I always fix a cake for New Year's Day like Mom use to do and we think of both our Dads when we have our "birthday" cake.

May your new year be the happiest ever with goals met, dreams fulfilled, and adventures satisfying!

Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy of "RULE BREAKER".
2clowns at arkansas dot net

Unknown said...

My father-in-laws funeral will be that day, so not much celebrating this year.
rita dot navarre at yahoo dot com

GaryB said...

I will be home partying with my mom

Debbie P. said...

We will be home. I have picked up food so we can munch. I am not sure if we will watch a movie or exactly what will happen on New Year's Eve. We will switch the television over to watch the ball fall. Mom, Larry and I will wish each other a Happy New Year.

dstoutholcomb said...

Best wishes as you start anew.

We'll be watching Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve with Ryan Seacrest--it's our annual tradition.

peace and love,
denise

Linda Herold said...

Hi! I really enjoyed reading this post! I would like for 2020 to be a positive and happy one for me! On New Year's Eve I will be at home relaxing with my 2 cats! Happy New Year to you!

Mary Preston said...

These days I tend to just sleep through New Years. In my younger days I'd party the night through.

Anonymous said...

Going to relax in bed for the new year, still a little tired from eating at Nannie and mother houses, too much food and desserts. Everything was wonderful and I adore all my Christmas gifts, even though I put myself on Santa naughty list!!

T. Miles

angiemac18 said...

I will be spending the evening with family eating, drinking and playing games

Debbie P. said...

I will be home with my Mom, husband and cats. I will fix food that we will munch on throughout the day. I am not sure if we will watch movies or DVD's. We will turn on the television to watch the ball fall in New York.

Joanne Rock said...

Kay G, I'm so sorry you had health issues to tackle this past year. I love your cake tradition on New Year's. Your optimism inspires mine, and I appreciate you xo

Kimberlyindy said...

I think you summed up exactly how I am feeling. I am still in a limbo of sorts, trying to downsize and find a new place to live, but hope to have that done with by Feb. My word of the year is transformation, and that is how I feel. I need this time for me to transform, refill my energy well, grow and become who I am, not who I am stuck as. Happy New Year. Mine will be a quiet one at home.

Sherry Miller said...

Joanne, I loved the openness of this blog. Thank you for sharing. I’m sorry for whatever pain you’ve experienced. I can relate to that, unfortunately. But I do know you well enough to know you have tenacity!! I went through a very painful divorce many years back. The worst part was seeing my daughters in pain and knowing I’d made mistakes that contributed to that pain. This year they came to visit me and we had the best visit!! We’ve gotten to a really good place and in 2-3 years I’ll be living close to them again, in our forthcoming house on the beach, which I’m very excited about! Whatever your heart needs to heal, I wish that for you. I hope 2020 is a great year for you!!! If you come to Houston and have time, please let me know, I’d love to see you:) For New Year’s Eve my husband and I will be having homemade enchiladas, a nice bottle of red, and hanging out on our love seat after. We’re total homebodies!! Sending love and light, Sherry

Joanne Rock said...

Sherry, I'm so glad things have healed with your girls. Your post is balm to my soul :-). Thank you so much. The kindness of my friends has made the last months bearable. And I would love to see you in my travels. I'm adding your name and your city to my list. Looking forward to things like this... connecting with friends... is going to heal me the rest of the way.

Joanne Rock said...

Dena Akbar, you're my winner!! I'm contacting you privately, but all you need to do is send a mailing address to me at jrock008@gmail.com! Thank you ALL so much for lifting me up this week. I'm so grateful. Wishing you much happiness and love in the New Year!

Beverly s said...

I know this is after the contest is over.. I spent my new years snuggled up in bed. Just me my dogs and my Mom.... My dad went to heaven just over 2 years ago...I still miss him. Spent christmas with my sister and family. Here to hoping 2020 is a better year.