Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015


Happy New Year...okay, well, the new year is almost two weeks old, but I'm still celebrating!!

This is the time of year to look at who you are and decide who you want to be.  Every year I try to move a little closer to my ideal self.  And rather than New Year's resolutions, I've using a word of the year as a touchstone.  I've been using a word of the year for...well, years now!  It's nice to see that the trend is catching on!  Yep, that's me...a trendsetter!  LOL

I've had words like last years, Step as well as Optimism, Change, Awareness, Moment...   I pick a word, post it prominently on my desk and try to use it as a focus for the year.    I've been mulling 2015's word for a while now and hit upon it last night as I was drifting off to sleep.  Drumroll please.  The word is...STRETCH.  Like last year's Step, the word has both physical and mental applications.  Physically, I'm hoping to try to add a bit of yoga to my daily 10,000 step routine (btw, I did make my 10,000 steps every day last year!!).  I'd like to become more limber and flexible.  I'd like to become more limber and flexible in my inner life as well!  I want to step out of my comfort range and try new things.  I want to expand my way of thinking and try to look at things from a new perspective.  

Yes, I like the word Stretch!  It makes a great word to center my year around!   I think I'll need that limberness as I look at my year's schedule!  I've got three releases (Carry Her Heart in April, Her Second Chance Family in August, and The Way We Used to Be in November).  I've started scheduling speaking gigs...there's Ohio and NY so far.  I've got a lot of books to write for 2016.  And I have some family trips planned...a cruise and in the fall, my husband and I are meeting my best friend and her husband in Florida!  Yep, I think that a bit of limberness is in order!  How about you?  Do you have a word of the year??  If not, you've still got time to find one!

Holly

PS 2015 is a year of giveaways for my subscribers! Not a subscriber?  You can sign-up here and be automatically entered in the year's giveaways!


6 comments:

Laney4 said...

In 2013, my word was Ruthless, as I was ruthless in sorting our worldly possessions as much as possible into piles for garbage/recycling, our annual yard sale, and charity. In 2014, my word was Balance, as I tried to work hard and play hard, plus volunteer but not to the point of exhaustion (by learning to say No). My word for 2015 is now Cleanse, as in following some feng shui "rules" (by keeping a cleaner house/windows, by not having obstacles like a couch in the middle of the room blocking our feet/energy), but also by cleansing myself of negative energy from "friends". This one is more difficult, as some people have been friends for over 35 years now, but I really feel like these people are dragging me down, and I'm sick and tired of it after all these years.

HollyJacobs said...

Oh, Laney, that's a great word! And I hear you on toxic friendships. I try to surround myself with positive people...it so makes a difference! Good luck!

dstoutholcomb said...

I don't have a "word."

Denise

Liz Flaherty said...

Mine is Expand.I think our meanings are a lot the same, but somehow Stretch sounds...so much classier. :-) Happy New Year, Holly.
http://wordwranglers.blogspot.com/2015/01/my-word-for-year-whats-yours.html

HollyJacobs said...

Denise, It's never too late to find one!! I really do like that it gives me something to sort of hang my hat on for the year!

HollyJacobs said...

Liz, I like Expand. When I read it, I saw someone sitting in a lotus position, expanding their mind!