Pages

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Addison Fox: Playtime


As a romance writer, I’m fortunate to belong to a wonderful organization – Romance Writers of America. I’m a member of the national organization as well as several local chapters. At our most recent chapter meeting, one of my fellow authors, Sally Felt, did an incredible workshop on the value of play.

Not only was the workshop a ton of fun, but the lessons she imparted have stuck with me and had me framing up the value of playtime in my life.


The essence of the workshop was how playtime can unleash our creativity, refill the well and, in general, add to our overall health and well-being. Armed with this knowledge, I headed into this past weekend determined to take some time for me. And I couldn’t have made a better choice.

As I went to sleep on Sunday night, rather than laying there with thoughts of all that was ahead of me for the week, I laughed about a funny experience with friends, took satisfaction that I’d actually made it to the gym this past weekend and relived a fun exhibit on Indiana Jones I attended at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History [http://fortworthmuseum.org/indiana-jones™-and-adventure-archaeology-exhibition].

I slept, I rested and I refilled.

And in a short period of time, I saw all the benefits Sally is talking about. Not only did I feel refreshed, but I worked through a plot problem that’s been bugging me and got an idea for the broader series I’m working on. I even got in some really solid writing time.


The new week is here and it’s time to focus on my responsibilities. But it’s amazing how much better I feel about tackling them. Rather than burdens, I feel like my own version of Indiana Jones, ready to take on my next adventure.

Thanks for joining me today! I’d love to hear how you refresh and refill the well (and, of course, get some ideas for my next adventure!)

XOXO,
Addison

Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in Dallas and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her latest book, THE ROME AFFAIR, is currently out from Harlequin Romantic Suspense.

You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com or on Facebook: www.facebook.com/addisonfoxauthor or on Twitter: www.twitter.com/addisonfox

No comments: