Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Read One, Knit Too - Lisa Dale

Hi all!

Since I'm a writer, it's probably no surprise to you that I've got a lot of creative energy. Too much, in fact. I'm always wondering "what if?" And that can make it hard to relax sometimes.

When I watch movies or TV shows, I tend to get very twitchy--the urge to be busy and to create makes me antsy for whatever I'm watching to be over.

But then... I discovered knitting.

I admit it: I didn't want to learn how to knit at first. I'm not terribly handy around the house with things like cooking and crafts, so I figured that knitting was a no-go. But I had an aunt who knew me well enough to sit me down one day and say, "you're not getting out of this chair until you can knit." And of course, she was right. :-) Now, I knit all the time.

The parallels between knitting and writing are huge--focus, creativity, imagination, and an end result that you can see (and share with others). So I thought it might be fun to post some of my recent knitting projects here!

Above is a scarf that I made to look like salad--why not?--to give to my sister for her birthday. I decorated it with fake tomatoes and onions and carrots, then added a salad fork and voila! I can't take credit for the idea, though. It came from a knitter on Ravelry. But it was fun making it!

Here it is from the front:












And here's a project I'm not quite done with yet because it needs a face:










And here is my first attempt at a sweater!











At the moment, I'm working on a scarf for my mom and also a pair of baby booties (which take all of five seconds to knit).

But since I have a book due at the end of the year, I'm probably going to be cutting back on knitting soon.

Shout out to readers: How about you? Along with reading, do you knit or crochet?

Best wishes,

Lisa Dale

PS - Remember to drop by my blog, http://www.LisaDaleBooks.com/blog, to join the conversation and enter to win fun prizes. See you there!

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Your projects are amazing. All I can knit is simple lines for a blanket. I can't even seem to get the hang of how to purl.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

practimom said...

oh i love the bear! and the others as well. I don't knit...i do make crafts, mostly with my kids. Christmas ornaments are our specialty.

Nancy said...

Yes, I knit, crochet, cross-stitch, play several musical instruments, sing...

Rebekah E. said...

I knit and love it. It is so much fun to make things with your hands.

gigi said...

I learned to crochet when I was a kid.
I did cross stitch and needle point for a while. I even learned smocking.
But sewing my daughters little dresses when they were small was my passion. Now I sew to mend stuff. I am glad that I know how to sew I can't tell you how many times I have had to mend something practically brand new.
I have bought books on how to knit but I just haven't gotten into it. I might give it another go since so many people do it now.

Estella said...

I do not knit as much as I would like. I have arthritis in my hands and wrists and knitting is sometimes painful.

Christina Hollis said...

Your knits are terrific! I was taught to knit by one grandmother, and crochet by the other. I love it but sadly, don't have the time to become proficient and quick. I've done simple baby clothes etc but if I have to unpick anything and rework it, I soon lose heart.

cheryl c said...

I don't know how to knit or crochet, but I wish I did!