Pages

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Holiday Songs by Megan Crane

It's that time of year again.

It's actually chilly in Southern California. We are bundled up in parkas and scarves in what my East Coast relatives would call balmy spring weather. I have Serious Baking to do, which means there is far too much dangerous food in the house--chocolate chips and sugar and all the things cookies and brownies are made of. I have a stack of wrapping paper and bags of gifts that need to be wrapped and mailed. I love the holidays!

But what I love most about the holidays are the long, dark afternoons that slide into evenings. I like to be tucked up inside, something baking in the oven, putting together packages and writing out holiday cards. And what I like most of all? Is listening to holiday music.

I have traditional and new, cathedral choirs and Sufjan Stevens. I love all of it.

Here's one of my favorite holiday songs (Wizards in Winter by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra) in one of the best Christmas Light extravaganza I've ever seen:



What's your favorite holiday song? (Or what's the one you can't get out of your head?)

12 comments:

Gabayzing Gab said...

Mariah Carey- "All I Want for X-mas Is You"
I would blast that in my house when I was younger around X-mas time and my dad would get PISSED. We are Jewish

Rebekah E. said...

We never really listened to holiday music in my house growing up. Neat vidoe though, it is cool what people can do with lights.

Estella said...

Silver Bells.

cheryl c said...

I love, love Christmas music! I listen to it all day right now. I enjoy the instrumentals and the popular artists' songs(old and new). O Holy Night is a lovely song, and Santa Baby always makes me smile.

Kristen Elizabeth said...

"The Night Santa Went Crazy" by Weird Al Yankovic.

Favorite line: "Well the workshop is gone now/ he decided to bomb it/ everywhere you'll find pieces of Cupid and Comet."

Unknown said...

I LUV this house!! I've seen it for many years and it's still fun!! My fav song is "Baby It's Cold Outside" I will listen to it sung by anyone!! LOL!! Thanks, Sue

Linda Henderson said...

I love listening to O Holy Night. It has always been my favorite.

Mary Kirkland said...

I don't really like christmas music but I love listening to the Trans Siberian Orchestra. They rock!

Melanie said...

It's a tie for me between "All I want for Christmas is You" by Mariah and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee.

Laurie G said...

Raffi's Must Be Santa

John Denver's Aspen Glow

What Child Is This by Justin Hayward(Moody Blues)

Caitlin Crews said...

These are all such great songs! (Except yours, Kristen. My goodness. I'm afraid to listen to it! ;))

I remember, a million years ago, hearing a Christmas carol from Joseph's perspective, but I've never been able to find it. I wish I could!

Michele L. said...

Hi Megan!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...la, la, la, snow outside, frigid temperatures, brrr...

My favorite Christmas song is "Oh Holy Night". The song that gets stuck in my head whenever I hear it on the radio is "Grandma got ran over by a reindeer". Dumb song but very catchy.