Pages

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Sat hello to Veronica...


It’s been a weird month for me. Aside from my looming deadline for Harlequin Mills & Boon book ten, I’ve been preparing for the Historical Romance Retreat in Spokane in September where I am thrilled to be one of the featured authors.

I’m in some illustrious company- Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Elizabeth Essex and my good friend and fellow Harlequin Historical author Nicole Locke to name but a few.


Billed as the Comicon for all lovers of historical romance, there is a tradition of dressing up in period costumes at the Retreat. To that end I have been sewing. In total I have made, or am still making, a genuine bonnet and three Regency dresses. The most impressive of which is ‘Veronica’, my red satin gown for the Grand Ball.

Being a larger lady, I’ve had to adapt the dress patterns. The easiest way to do this is to invest in a dress form. Mine is wearing one of my old bras stuffed with eight pairs of socks (yes, you did just read eight!) to ensure that my costumes fit my overt bosoms properly.
Here is a little montage of the stages of Veronica.

Virginia Heath writes raunchy, Regency romantic comedies for Harlequin Mills & Boon. 

1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

my grandma had a dress form for making her own dresses. and when she went into a nursing home, she gave it to my other grandma. until their later years, they rarely wore store-bought clothing. my mom made most of my clothing when I was really young, and I had a homemade Easter dress through 6th grade. sorry for rambling, I could go on, but I'd bore you with sewing stories.

have fun and best wishes finishing your dresses for the retreat

denise