Pages

Monday, November 02, 2015

Susan Sands: Teen Girls. Need I Say More?

She is beautiful. She owns my whole heart. She used to think I was the most wonderful person on the planet and called me "Mommy."

Things have changed in my household since then. My daughter is sixteen. She is driving. She is dating a little. She doesn't think I'm nearly as smart or wonderful as she did when she was in diapers, or preschool, for that matter.  I'm the constant heavy. I'm wholly embarrassing to her in front of her friends. I question her choices, I warn her about everything from traffic safety to watching her cup at every possible social event. I'm infinitely less fun than I was when I planned her birthday parties at venues like Build-a-Bear and the pottery painting studio.

I love her to the moon and beyond. Oh, but I worry about her coming of age in this society where things are so much the same, and so very different than they were when I was her age. Boys are still highly motivated and will say anything to have sex with girls. That hasn't changed. Communicating that fact is still a challenge without taking all the excitement and thrill out of the first blush of young romance. Does it still exist for more than a date or two these days?

They text and snapchat rather than talk to one another now. Communication between the sexes seems to be dwindling. It's easier to hide behind devices rather than get to know someone's heart. Technology is etching away social skills and manners with its abbreviated form of conversation-making. The wall between people is building, one slow brick at a time because of it.

I wonder about this upcoming teen generation and the complexities of their lives. Life has always been complex, but this added component truly worries me, as it will affect these kids as nothing has before.

I teach my kids manners, respect, and to make good choices. They make mistakes, learn lessons and move forward with hope for the future. So far, so good. Tonight is her first homecoming dance and I'm having a day of excitement mixed with worry. What will happen at the party after the dance? Will the kids make good choices? Not just mine, but all of them. Some will, and some, not so much, I suppose.

I just received a text with an apology from her for leaving her things in a huge mess as she dashed out the door, my strong words ringing in her ears. It's a hard thing...apologizing, for both of us. Neither wants to admit we're wrong.

She's getting her nails done.  I'm heading out to pick up boutonnieres. There will be lots of pictures. Wish us both luck on this exciting and big "first."

I'll be the mom (one of many, most likely) waiting for the text saying she got there safely and that all is well.

Best to all the mommies and daddies! It's truly the hardest job I've ever loved!

Susan Sands
Author of AGAIN, ALABAMA
The Tule Publishing Group

Susan Sands grew up in a tiny town in North Louisiana and graduated with a degree in education from Northwestern State University.   She and her husband, Doug, an Alpharetta dentist, live in Johns Creek with their three nearly grown children. Her debut novel, AGAIN, ALABAMA is a Southern small-town coming home story filled with fun, nutty family, and lots of heart and humor. Grey and Cammie show us that it’s never too late for second chances and healing old wounds. 

"AGAIN, ALABAMA full of Southern charm and beauty pageants, coiffed hair and pecan pie competitions. The story keeps the reader turning pages.” ~Library Journal

Susan loves to connect with readers! She can be found at the following fun places:

Twitter:  @SusanNoelSands
Blog:  Sweet Home Alpharetta at: http://susansands.com



2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

yes, the teen years are trying on a momma! I just have boys, but there's still teen drama. :)

denise

Susan Sands said...

Hi Denise,

I have boys too! So different, but yes, still drama! Thanks for stopping by!