Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Rakes and Rogues and Midnight Kisses, Oh, My!

by Anna Campbell

Wow, I feel like I've had a lot of releases this year!

It's not long since DAYS OF RAKES AND ROSES, my e-novella which is 1.5 in the Sons of Sin series (love that 1.5! It's like it's waiting to grow up and become a proper number), hit the digital shelves.

And this month, I'm delighted to introduce my latest effort (and it gets a nice round 2 in the series!), A RAKE'S MIDNIGHT KISS from Grand Central Publishing!

This is the story of rakish (well, he would be with a title like ARMK!) Sir Richard Harmsworth and virginal and scholarly vicar's daughter Genevieve Barrett, a woman with no time for rakes!

Here's the blurb:

It Takes a Lady
 
Brilliant scholar Genevieve Barrett knows how to keep a secret. Her identity as the author of her father's academic articles has always been her greatest deception-until a charming housebreaker tries to steal the mysterious Harmsworth Jewel from her. She doesn't reveal that she recognizes her father's devastatingly handsome new student as the thief himself. For Genevieve, this will be the most seductive secret of all...

To Catch a Thief
 
Sir Richard Harmsworth has been living a lie, maintaining a rakish facade to show society that he doesn't care about his status as a bastard. Yet long haunted by his unknown father's identity, Richard believes the Harmsworth Jewel will confirm his claim as the rightful heir. But when Richard sets out to seduce the bookworm who possesses the stone, he instead falls for its beautiful owner. But even as she steals Richard's heart, Genevieve will be in greater danger than her coveted treasure...


You can read an excerpt here: http://annacampbell.info/rakeskiss.html

As you can probably tell, we're in TO CATCH A THIEF territory. The charming moocher with the hidden agenda and the smart woman who pretty quickly works out that all is not what it seems with this particular lounge lizard.

And as in TO CATCH A THIEF, our detached, outwardly self-serving hero finds himself having to step up to the plate and become a hero in truth when it becomes apparent that there are genuinely dangerous men on the block after the treasure - and the girl!

I had enormous fun writing this story. After the gothic drama of the first Sons of Sin book, SEVEN NIGHTS IN A ROGUE'S BED, this one is much lighter.

It was so enjoyable watching these two characters fall in love much against their better judgement. It was also fun seeing more of Jonas and Sidonie from ROGUE and the other people who populate the Sons of Sin world, like Camden Rothermere, the Duke of Sedgemoor, a man upon whom I have a huge writerly crush at the moment (occupational hazard, falling in love with our heroes!).

So do you have a favorite rake from a romance novel? The reformed rake is such a stalwart of the Regency genre, but we never seem to get enough of him. Why do you think this particular breed of man is so popular with readers? I've got a signed copy of A RAKE'S MIDNIGHT KISS (ebook or print) for someone who comments today. Good luck!

35 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I do love a rogue & a rake. One of my favorites is Willoughby from Jane Austen's SENSE AND SENSIBILITY. I so wanted to believe he would turn out for the better - he never did.

Anna Campbell said...

Oh, Mary, NOOOOOO!!!! LOL! Willoughby is definitely a rake but he's a bad 'un through and through!

kipha said...

Oh Rogues and Rakes! How we do love them. I suppose we love them because they can change and become that better person we always knew they were. And of course there's always that one heroine stopping at nothing that will make the rogue fall to his knees in surrender and love~
I have too many rogues and rakes I love! But Sarah MacLean's rogues and rakes are ones I love dearly! Bourne from her: A Rogue By Any Other Name, is a keeper.

Anna Campbell said...

Kipha, you're so right! We just love our Rogues and our Rakes. Where would historical romance be without them? In fact,sometimes I wonder if I'm ever going to read a nice guy, LOL!

Maria said...

My favorite rake. Hmmm. I really loved Jonas from Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed. But I also loved Gideon from Jillian HUnter's The Duchess Diaries and Samuel in A Duke's Temptation. And Lazarus from Elizabeth Hoyt's Wicked Intentions. Sigh. Thanks for the giveaway chance!

May said...

Hmmm... I love Villiers from Eloisa James' series. Love how he changed for love. I love the journey they go through when they change!

Stefanie said...

I love rakes because they bring a little excitement into the story. My favorite rake is Kathleen Woodiwiss' Brandon from The Flame and The Flower, because he introduces me to historical romance novels and made me fall in love with them.

Anna Campbell said...

Ha ha, Maria! Jonas is in good/bad company there! Thank you for saying you liked my scarred rogue! Good luck in the draw.

Anna Campbell said...

Oh, great choice, May! Yes, I think that's one of the perennial fascinations with rakes and rogues - their journey to redemption!

Anna Campbell said...

Stefanie, you took me back to my teenage self with mentioning the Flame and the Flower. I inhaled all KW's books about that stage - read them surreptitiously all through maths class. Bet I was having a better time than the girls diligently doing their calculus!

Karen H said...

This new book sounds like a winner....but then everything Anna writes comes out a winner! Danelle Harmon has an old series currently being re-released in ebook format and they are well worth the time to pick them up. The de Montforte Family consists of 4 brothers and a sister (whose book is currently being written by Danelle) with the dark and dangerous Duke of Blackheath at the head of the family. He's a controlling manipulator and likes to meddle in the lives of his younger siblings....for their own good! He is a rogue and a rake in the first order and we all know, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.....and he does meet his downfall!

Anna Campbell said...

Karen, I love Danelle Harmon's books. She wrote some great stories set in the War of Independence (an underutilized period if I ever heard of one!). Great choice. Thanks for saying you're looking forward to reading Rake!

Linda said...

I guess we're always enamored with (the threat? promise of?) naughtiness! I don't have a favourite that I can think of at the moment; my brain is stuck on my current book BF who's a dangerous warrior :)

Laurie G said...

Devil In Winter- Lisa Kleypas= Sebastian, Lord St Vincent
Who doesn't love the story of an elusive, wild, love them and leave them rake captured by the love of his life.

Taming the beast! Love conquering all!

Laurie G said...

OOPS how could I fail to include Sebastian, Lord Dain from Loretta Chase's LORD OF SCOUNDRELS! Loved Jessica!

Kim said...

Congratulations on the new release. Rhett Butler is a given, so let me think of someone else. :) How about Leo from Lisa Kleypas' Hathaway series.

Anna Campbell said...

Linda, I think you're right. It's like a challenge! A dangerous warrior? We like them too!

Anna Campbell said...

Laurie, that book's such a favorite, isn't it? I always get title envy when I think about it. Think that's a doozey of a title!

Anna Campbell said...

Laurie, I've lot track of how often I've read that book. Was thinking about it yesterday (did a reading from Rake at a breakfast meeting and the heroine pulls a pistol on the hero - a bit like Jessica does!).

Anna Campbell said...

Kim, great choice! Lisa K definitely writes great rakes and rogues.

Annie West said...

Anna, Dain in 'Lord of Scoundrels' has to be one of my faves, but I must say you paint a pretty appealing rake! Love this latest story. The tension and heat notch up so well and I love the fact he's actually in her house through it all. Real sizzle and an intriguing story!

Anna Campbell said...

Annie, Dain's definitely a favorite rake! Thanks for saying such nice things about my Rake! Actually I had pictures of writing a much steamier story when he moved in but the characters, well, Genevieve, dug their heels in and wouldn't cooperate!

kipha said...

LOL The nice guys are the Rogues, Rakes, and Scoundrels; in their down falls. :)

Pat Cochran said...

One of my early favorites of the rakish
persuasion is the Marquis of Vidal,found
in Georgette Heyer's Devil's Cub. I love
all rakes, they really get my attention!

Pat C.

erin said...

I love rakes :) I think my one of fav is Ann Stuart's Viscount Rohan from the House of Rohan series. Thanks for sharing!

Barbara E. said...

I always enjoy a rake, it's so much fun to see them reformed for the love of a great heroine. One of my favorite rakes is Robin Fitzvitry from Jo Beverley's A Lady's Secret.

Anna Campbell said...

Oh, Pat, EXCELLENT choice! I've re-read that in the last few years. He's SOOOO sexy. And he's a genuinely bad boy at the start too. Lovely to watch him falling under Mary's spell.

Anna Campbell said...

Erin, Anne Stuart writes wonderful rakes. I think my favorite is Nicholas Blackthorne from A Rose at Midnight. He's so bad, he's delicious!

Anna Campbell said...

Barbara, looks like we all love to see a rake brought to his knees through love! So many wonderful rakes to choose from in Romancelandia.

Anna Campbell said...

Thanks, guys, for a fun day here. I'll leave the draw open until tomorrow morning my time and then pick my winner. Good luck!

CYP @ A Bookalicious Story said...

I've only ever read 3 historical romances so far, so I'm pretty new to all this, but I do like my dukes and rakes. Haha no favorite yet, but I'm still looking. ;)

Anna Campbell said...

CYP, welcome to the wonderful world of historical romance! You have some great books ahead of you!

Anna Campbell said...


Well said!

Anna Campbell said...

Delighted to announce CYP as the winner of the copy of A RAKE'S MIDNIGHT KISS. CYP, I've emailed you privately about gettin you your book. Happy reading!

CYP @ A Bookalicious Story said...

Yay, thanks!! :)) Can't, can't wait to start on A Rake's Midnight Kiss!