Tomorrow is a big celebration day for me. It's the release date of my 20th novel! If you'd told me when I was an aspiring, fresh-faced, newly agented young'un back in late 2004 that in 2012 I would have twenty books out (as well as a companion guide, a plethora of novellas, and short stories), I would have laughed quite heartily. Ha ha ha!! Back then, I was happy with just one!
My 20th book is very special to me. Well, ALL of my books are special to me, but this one is special in a different way. It actually has the same heroine as my very first book -- a heroine I've now been writing or thinking about for nearly a decade. However, this book is the start of a different series, in a different genre, with a different publisher.
BLOOD BATH & BEYOND is the first Immortality Bites Mystery. While it is unofficially a continuation of my original five-book Immortality Bites series (which started with the national bestselling and award-winning Bitten & Smitten), it's also fresh and new and so much fun I can barely contain my enthusiasm for it. So I won't. Woo hooooo!!
Frankly, I can't believe it's taken me THIS LONG to discover the cozy paranormal mystery genre. I mean, how much fun is this? (The answer: A LOT.)
In Cozy Paranormal Mystery, I can have:
1) A quirky heroine -- fledgling vampire Sarah Dearly is very quirky and hilarious, if a tadddd more mature than she was in the original series, just as I'm a tad more mature as a writer!
2) A sexy hero and plenty of romance -- Sarah's fiancé is the rather ancient and dour but delicious and devoted master vampire Thierry de Bennicoeur. These two are complete opposites and it's so much fun to continue to explore their complicated relationship. Thierry was a tricky one in the original series, very mysterious and enigmatic... even to me! But now I know him and I think that his true awesomeness really comes out on the page. I hope you agree!
3) Kooky sidekicks -- Sarah meets many new people in her adventures, including a fledgling vamp who's nearly her mirror image, a todders-and-tiarras-esque little diva of a vampire, a deadly vampire assassin, a dark wizard, and, of course, scary vampire hunters.
4) A couple puzzling mysteries -- because, well, it is a mystery novel!
5) Lots of humor -- while there are danger and thrills galore, Sarah has always had a way of looking at things with a wonderfully sarcastic sense of humor. It makes her so much fun to write.
6) Room to grow -- BB&B is just book #1... and I've already written the sequel, Bled & Breakfast (out June 2013). I love the opportunity to have an arching urban fantasy mythology to explore, but also have each book have a real single-title feel with a satisfying ending. And I have plenty more ideas after that! Quite honestly, if I'm still writing about Sarah and Thierry ten years from now, I would be perfectly happy to do so!
Here's a little more about the book!
BLOOD BATH & BEYOND
(An Immortality Bites Mystery #1)August 7, 2012 - NAL Obsidian
Sarah Dearly is adjusting to life as a fledgling vampire, satisfying her cravings at vampire-friendly blood banks. But when her fiance Thierry takes a job with the Ring—the secret council in charge of keeping vampires in line—Sarah’s about to get more than a taste of danger…
Being engaged to a centuries-old master vampire can be challenging—especially when he takes a job with the Ring. Thierry’s in for fifty years of nonstop travel and deadly risk. It’s enough to make any woman reconsider the wedding…any woman except Sarah, that is!
Traveling with him to Las Vegas for his first assignment, they encounter a child beauty pageant contestant from hell, as well as a vampire serial killer leaving victims drained of blood, potentially exposing the existence of vampires to the whole world. But when Thierry’s truly ancient history comes back to haunt him, and he’s accused of a crime he didn’t commit, it’s up to Sarah to clear his name before their immortal lives come to an end.
“A bloody hysterical paranormal mystery!” –New York Times Bestselling Author Victoria Laurie
4-1/2 star TOP PICK! “Rowen jumps from paranormal romance to paranormal mystery without skipping a beat…Here’s hoping Sarah will have many more adventures in her new series.” —RT BookReviews
********** WIN A SIGNED COPY! ***********
I'd love to give away a signed copy of BLOOD BATH & BEYOND to a commenter. Please comment here -- tell me what is your favorite book of 2012 so far, since I'm always looking for new ones to add to my TBR pile! -- and I will choose a winner at random on Friday, August 10th at 9:00pm EST. Open internationally! Please check back to this post then to see if you've won and for info on how to claim your prize. Good luck!
For more info about me and my books, visit: