Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Why now?


The book I am working on is going really well - which should be a good thing, yes?

The trouble is, I simply don’t have the time I need to concentrate fully on it. My Muse always does this – arrives at a time when it is impossible to write.

She used to arrive Monday to Friday about fifteen minutes before 3pm, which was the time that I had to go and pick up the kids from school. The words would have just started flowing and then my phone alarm would go off. Now that we live closer to school and they can walk home at 3pm I am playing on Twitter and checking my emails, still impatiently waiting for words to arrive.

Now, with Christmas just around the corner and one of the children’s birthdays too and just so much that needs to be done that isn’t writing related - ideas are pinging in and words are begging to be typed. I know that if I had a clear week, if I could just hide myself away with my computer, then this book would be sitting on my editors desk, perhaps even early for once!!!  Well, that’s not going to happen.

I’m sure I’m not the only one with this type of problem - what is Christmas and the lead up to it taking you away from?

And, if you’re happy to be taken away for a little while, leave a comment! I have two hardback versions of my latest book A Shameful Consequence (not out in the USA for Presents till February – so it will be the gorgeous UK cover) which I’ll sign and send out to the names that are drawn.

Happy Holidays
Carol Marinelli x

10 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

I hear ya! Everything Christmas and end of school is taking me away from MASSIVE rewrites that I really just want to get done. Good luck with your book :)

Laurie G said...

Christmas and all it's associated details takes me away from reading. Seriously, I have to squeeze in minutes at a time. Life is so hectic with family visiting and attending Holiday concerts and cookie parties, gift buying, decorating, writing Christmas cards and paying bills. The month flies by!!

traveler said...

this time of year with the parties. events and celebrations it takes a little ingenuity to have time for reading and relaxing. Yes, it certainly infringes upon family quality time as well.

Laney4 said...

I know you don't have time for this, so I'll keep it short: Thanks for your generosity ... good luck with getting everything done ... and I hope you get an opportunity to get those ideas onto paper soon.

Di said...

Christmas is taking me away from all the projects around the house I have to do. I can't start making another mess right now (besides the getting ready for Christmas mess), and I have to shove all my 'getting organized' piles of stuff back under couches, beds & into closets. Then after the holidays, I have to pull them all out again to get them sorted.

Leni said...

Christmas isn't taking me away because I'm not going all out. I'm loving the music and desserts.

lenikaye@yahoo.com

Mary Preston said...

I'm missing my daily walk in the park. I am walking when out & about preparing for Christmas, but SERIOUSLY not the same at all.

Kaelee said...

I'm missing time to just blog. I enjoy the moments I spend on the computer just making a comment or two. I' up a 2:45 in the morning just getting some chat time in.

Alison said...

I'm nearly done with everything for Christmas - I think.... and then I remember I need to buy x, y and z, do this, wrap that. There really isn't any time before Christmas...but I'm hoping things will be a bit more peaceful in the New Year.

pageturner345@ gmail.com

Michele L. said...

Christmas is that special time of year to spend with loved ones. I always look forward to visiting my friends that I haven't seen in a while and giving presents. I love to give presents! Plus, to have the time to just sit down and visit with your immediate family is so nice and not be interrupted with work. Vacations are heavenly aren't they?

Happy Holidays!