Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Living Moment to Moment by Stella MacLean

As life continues to pick up speed, as we become busier with each passing day, it’s easy to forget those wonderful moments in life that make all the rush and worry worthwhile.


Here are just a few of my favorite moments.

The tanginess of fresh lemon, the searing bite of cold snow, the delicious smoothness of vanilla frosting.

Sunlight through branches, the perky smile on my four year old granddaughter’s face as she appears from my office with glasses perched on her nose and announces, “I’m working!”

The scent of lilacs in early spring, the lavender my grandmother wore, the smell of long ago varnished wood, my children’s infant smells, the smell of freshly mown grass, the scent of clean clothes off the clothesline, the smell of peanut butter cookies.

The song of robins early in the morning just before light breaks across the landscape. The high-pitched giggle of children as they race around the yard, and the upbeat sound of my husband’s voice on the phone. The sea gulls cry, the caw of crows, the sound of water on rocks, the haunting notes of a lullaby by Johannes Brahms.

The welcoming sound of silence.

The velvety touch of a baby’s cheek, the luxurious fur on my cat’s back, the roughness of a tree trunk, the warm smoothness of water.

All of this reminds me that life is at its best when we allow ourselves to experience those moments that make our world special.


Stella MacLean writes for Harlequin Super Romance.
http://www.stellamaclean.com/

6 comments:

Jo's Daughter said...

What a great list, I realy like the smell of a new romance novel.

Pat Cochran said...

Amen, Stella! Give Al Pacino the "Scent
of a Woman", but give me the scent of a
sweet baby!

Pat Cochran

Melanie Milburne said...

Stella, smell is such a powerful sense. The fragrance of wisteria takes me back to childhood to a cubby house my sisters and I made on our farm. The wisteria was all over it and we had to dodge bees in the spring but oh how I love that smell! So many treasured memories. Thanks for such a lovely post.

Kaelee said...

We spent today going from greenhouse to greenhouse (8 in total). The first one smelled of petunias, the next one smelled like the pig farm that was up wind from it, there was one that smelled of pansies and some that smelled of tomato plants. We had a van full of tomato plants and other plants and you could smell the earth and greenery. We drove though the country and saw buffalo beans growing in the ditch, deer on the side of the road, lambs, calves and more than one field with a herd of buffalo and their babies. Saw hawks, swallows, bluebirds and lots of different ducks. Had a wonderful lunch with my sister and her husband. It was a day full of beautiful moments.

Sometimes we need to just appreciate all the little things. Thank you so much for reminding me to stop and smell the roses.

Mary Preston said...

One of my favorite moments is about to happen. The car will pull into the drive, all my family will be home safe & sound. I can take a breath & relax. All will be right with the world - in our little corner at least.

Stella MacLean said...

Wow! Great comments! Love your favorite scents and special moments. Thanks so much.
Stella
www.stellamaclean.com