Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Lisa Dale: My Weekend Adventure

Sometimes, it's hard to know which I like more: The writing, or the fact that writing is an excuse for so many other things: buying books, quiet evenings in, asking lots of questions that most people would have no use for, and of course, research.

If you know my books, you know I'm a curious person--always hunting up fun new facts. Yesterday, I went on a scouting expedition with my fiance, Matt, into the Hudson Valley. I wanted to share some pictures from our trip to Philipsburg Manor.

Here's a picture of me and a cooper who was kind enough to talk to us for half an hour about everything we ever wanted to know about barrel-making (like the fact that tool handles are made of hickory because it absorbs shock, or that there's a difference between a pail and a bucket). I didn't realize Matt was snapping pictures or I would have torn my eyes away from the bucket to smile.










And here's a picture of Washington Irving's grave (he penned The Legend of Sleep Hollow and other stories). We stopped for a moment, but since we weren't on a tour, we didn't linger. Still, it's very cool to stop a moment to honor one of the first American fiction writers.










And of course, here is a replica of the bridge where poor Ichabod Crane was driven out of town by the headless horseman in Sleepy Hollow.










And finally, here's one of me for good measure where you actually can see my face.









It was a great day in the Hudson Valley--very foggy and gray, but beautiful. The Hudson has such a funny magic about it.

When you're in the Hudson Valley and Catskills area, there's always a coincidence around the corner--like, a certain thing you've been looking for five years suddenly appears.

Or you stumble on one of the area's enchanting little towns, and you just have this feeling of having been there before.

Yesterday, we strangely ran into one of Matt's colleagues at Washington Irving's house--he'd said he'd never been there before in his life but happened to be there the same day we were. Odd, and yet somehow, totally right.

I'm sure we'll be going up there again soon!

Wishing you much happy traveling and reading,

Lisa Dale

QUESTION: What place in the world feels magical to you?

7 comments:

ev said...

Ah you were in my neck of the woods. I've lived here for almost 14 years and am always finding new things to discover. I love it here. I love being no more than 3 hours from anything interesting- NYC, Boston, Montreal, The Catskills, Lake George, on and on and on....

Estella said...

The Road To Hana on the island of Maui feels magical to me.

Lisa Dale said...

Ev--I'm so jealous that you get to live there!

Estella--I've not heard of that. Am going to Google it. Thanks!

Pat Cochran said...

Two places that have a magical, yet
eerie and unsettling feeling, are both here in Texas with major connections
to Texas history. The first is the
Alamo in San Antonio where settlers
undertook a major stand against the
Mexicans. There was an almost total
death toll in the mission. The second
is the San Jacinto Monument and Battle-
grounds where the Texas army defeated
General Santa Ana's troops, located a
short way from Houston.

Jo's Daughter said...

The village where my parents live feels magical to me. Time seems to have stand still, yes people are older but, life is still the same. I even feel the same sense of calm I had as a child when I'm there

Mary Preston said...

In the local park there is a vine covered gazebo, when I step through the arch I gets chills. I just know their are fairies watching me.

marypres@gmail.com

Michele L. said...

My brother has two waterfalls on his property in Arkansas. He lives in the Blue Ridge mountains. The one waterfall is so huge and falls over the top of a cavern that is easy to walk down too. There is a pure, magical feeling standing there on the ledge of the cave, watching the water splash down into the water below and the misty cool air rising up from the waters, enveloping the cave and settling on your skin. Ahh....it is pure heaven!