Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Helen Bianchin: Visualization, Imagination & Creativity

Writers write. They put words on paper to convey a story.

An artist creates images on canvas with paint, and a sculptor sculpts.

A singer possessed of a voice so pure, it catches your breath.

More than talent, practice. A gift?

One of my favourite quotes is by Michelangelo - I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.

It made me wonder what artists see before they begin to craft - whether it be writing, painting, sculpting.

Does a writer visualize the characters, the setting, imagine what they say - to the point where it all seems to become real, and the struggle to convey that image is the talent, persistence - ok, sheer bloody-mindedness - to employ the right words, so the reader shares the writer's visualization?

Is there any particular artist, author - anyone - who has touched you in life? Inspired you?

I'll share a few of mine ...


A painting by Monet 's garden

O Holy Night sung by Celine Dion

Shakespeare for his prose

Michelangelo

Daniel Day Lewis for his dedication and preparation in order to play a scripted part.


Helen Bianchin
http://www.harlequinpresents.com/

13 comments:

Anna Campbell said...

Lovely post, Helen! Actually - and in all seriousness - you've inspired me. You're such a wonderful example for Australian romance writers. Well, writers anywhere, really! I love that Michelangelo quote too - I use it to encourage my process. I do awful first drafts and then polish and polish and chip away and chip away (which sometimes involves EATING chips, LOL!), hoping to get that angel out into the open!

Jo's Daughter said...

I too love Monet, big fan of his waterlillies!! Also like Richard Armitage, the actor who portayed him in the tv series.
And dear Jane Austen, the writer that guided me towards romance novels.

Mary Preston said...

Inspired me personally no. There are great artistes & writers that I admire though. Classic writers, artists & composers among them.

marypres@gmail.com

Christina Hollis said...

A lovely post, Helen. That quote from Michelangelo says it all.

Michele L. said...

Hi Helen,
That quote by Michelangelo is wonderful! I love art as I am an artist. Love to paint and draw. My art teacher in high school inspired me the most to paint. Your books are wonderful and a lot of authors have inspired me to want to write a book. Don't know if I ever will!

Have a great Memorial Day!

Totebag Guest said...

Anna, I agree - the quote from Michelangelo is wonderful. You're a sweetheart, thank you for your kind words.

Totebag Guest said...

Hi Jo's daughter,
Monet's waterlilies is lovely, so tranquil. And Jane Austen - a classic writer to enjoy reading again and again.

Helen

Totebag Guest said...

Marybelle,
I agree, there are so many great artists it's difficult to choose any particular one.

Helen

Totebag Guest said...

Hi Christina,
Great to hear from you, and yes,
the quote from Michelangelo says it all.

Helen

Totebag Guest said...

Hi Michele L,
Thank you, Michele. All the best with your painting and drawing - and do write a book. Art in any form can be very rewarding.

Helen

Totebag Guest said...

Hi Anna - just wanted to say I love your books. Each one is an amazing read. Re drafts - let's not go there!

All the best
Helen

Melanie Milburne said...

Helen, I always use the Michelangelo quote with every book, particularly the hard ones!
You have always been a wonderful inspiration to romance writers across the globe but most particularly amongst your sisters in Australia.
Lovely inspirational post. xx

Totebag Guest said...

Melanie, your kind words touch me. Thank you. The Michelangelo quote is both inspirational and very apt for artists everywhere.

All the best
Helen