Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Yummy Holidays - Kimberly Lang

For me, this time of the year means food. Lots and lots of wonderful food I wouldn’t dream of eating at any other time of the year. Because I struggle with my weight and other body issues, I have a lot of guilt tied to food (twelve years of ballet will do that to you), so I’m not the one you’re going to see eating something terribly decadent in the middle of September. I look at a hot fudge lava cake and see time on the treadmill. And since I hate time on the treadmill much more than I love hot fudge lava cake, it’s something I can take one tiny bite of and happily walk away.

But from Thanksgiving and Christmas, I indulge. (It helps that my birthday is in between the two major holidays, so I can have birthday cake, too!) It’s like a reverse Lent. Instead of giving something up for forty days, I allow myself the holidays to eat all the things I don’t normally eat. And I do it without any guilt at all. None. Not even a smidge.

I crack out the family cookbooks and make comfort food. I make sweets that make dentists cringe. I use real sugar instead of Splenda, whole milk, and full-fat cream. I sprinkle chocolate chips with impunity, laugh at fat grams, and let dust collect on the treadmill. Gravy becomes my friend again. (I’m Southern; gravy is practically a religion all its own.) Pigs in Blankets, bacon-wrapped cheese, chocolate tortes. Bring it on.

Happy Holidays, indeed.

And, about the time my pants start to get a bit tight, the holidays are over. I go back to my normal routine, spend a little extra time on the horrid treadmill for a couple of weeks, and I’m good until the turkeys start to gobble again in November.

So, I thought I’d share a couple of my favorite recipes with you because this is the only time of the year I allow those dangerous recipes out of the cupboard.

Sugar Pie

6 TBS flour
1 ½ cups sugar
Dash salt
4 TBS butter
1 ½ cup whole milk (it won’t work if you use the low-fat stuff)

Mix the flour, sugar and salt together until no lumps remain. Add the milk and stir well. Pour into a deep-dish, uncooked pie shell. Cut up the butter into small pieces and float on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Let cool before eating. (That hot sugar will take the skin off your mouth if you don’t let it cool. Not that I know from experience or anything…)
My Mamaw’s Peanut Butter Fudge

Grease a large baking dish.
In a heat-proof bowl, mix:
7oz jar of marshmallow cream
18oz jar of peanut butter

In a large pot, combine:
5 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk.

Bring to a boil and boil for 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour hot mixture into bowl and mix well. Pour into buttered dish, cool and cut into squares. Store in fridge.
Now I’m hungry and ready to cook something scrumptious. What’s your favorite holiday treat you don’t get any other time of year? Feel free to share the recipe if you like…

Kimberly is currently cooking up ideas for her next book. Meanwhile, BOARDROOM RIVALS, BEDROOM FIREWORKS will be out in the UK in January, and MAGNATE’S MISTRESS…ACCIDENTALLY PREGNANT! will be out in the US in February. Her October book, THE MILLIONAIRE’S MISBEHAVING MISTRESS is still available at www.eHarlequin.com.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays Kimberly. This pie sounds very naughty. I'm still trying to loss the pounds from Thanksgiving.

Soon I'll be reading your Magnate's Mistress...Accidentally Pregnant! Can't wait. Wishing you and yours the happiest of holidays.

Estella said...

White Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Fudge.

Rebekah E. said...

That peanut butter fudge sounds great. I'm going to have to try that.

Kimberly Lang said...

Thanks Marilyn -- and that pie really is naughty. Yummy, but utterly naughty.

I've never heard of white chocolate cranberry fudge (notice how I leave out the walnuts! :grin:)

Hope you enjoy the peanut butter fudge, Rebekah. My mamaw was famous for it.

Linda Henderson said...

Thanks for the great recipes. I've never heard of that pie before. I'll definitely have to try it.

Michele L. said...

Hi Kim!

Wow! You dance ballet? I am so impressed! I love to dance but nothing fancy. Just wiggle my butt and move my feet to the music. Ha, ha!

Oh your recipes sound delicious! I am going to make some cookies this weekend for Christmas. I am not good at watching my diet like you. I used to be nice and thin but over the years weight seems to creep up on you.

Your book THE MILLIONAIRE'S MISBEHAVING MISTRESS sounds so good! Definitely going on my To-Buy list!

Dina said...

Hi Kimberly,

Sugar pie does sound yummy, thanks for sharing.

Kimberly Lang said...

Linda and Dina -- the pie is addictive. It tends to call my name every time I walk by, forcing me to take "just a bite" until I've nibbled the whole thing away.

Michele-- I used to, but not any more. I miss it sometimes, but then my knees start to hurt and I remember why I don't :-) And I hope you enjoy Will and Gwen's story!

Mary Kirkland said...

Thank you for the recipe, sounds great. There is only one thing that I absolutely love and only get it this time of year. Chocolate Truffles....I get a box of them from Figis every year as a treat to myself. I just love them, them are so rich and chocolately.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipes, can never have too many this time of year. The sugar pie is a new one for me. Happy Holidays!! Sue