Yes, we've all heard of the February BLAHS. Well I'm here today with the Midsummer AAAAHHHHH's.
That's right. The best things about summer, and as I'm enjoying my new home SO very much, I'm going to bring you my top ten things I love about THIS summer.
1) My pool. Yes, it costs a fortune to maintain, and it's a pain in the ass sometimes. But I love it. The kids love it. I love watching my kids in it, as they grow more and more confident. It is a master procrastination tool. It relaxes me so much I nearly fell asleep in my floaty chair and roasted my...
2) Eating outside. I barbeque outside and I eat outside. Not only that, but it's only a step inside the door and I'm at the kitchen. No toting plates and food around and about...the patio table is about 6 steps from our actual dining table.
3) Which brings me to the deck. The deck is the structure that keeps on giving, all day long. I can drink coffee, plug in the laptop, eat lunch, watch the kids swim, read a book...it is the QUEEN of multi-function.
4) The clothesline. After spending all of my married life without one, I now have one and I love it. I love the smell of fresh clothes, and even better, fresh bedding.
5) Walking without parkas. Sounds silly, but it's so nice to just put on a pair of sneakers and sunglasses and be ready to go...and this year, to be in a lovely neighbourhood where walking is enjoyable.
6) The smell of grass and flowers. Every day when I open the windows I can smell freshly cut grass, or flowers. Not cultivated flowers...just whatever is growing in the woods or in the bushes; raspberry blossoms, clover, black eyed susans...it all mixes together into this subtle perfume that just says summer.
7) The sound of the birds. I wake every morning to the birds singing. A few hide away in the woods and have the most beautiful songs. I turn up my nose at the crows and blackbirds, but the warblers and finches make it all worth it.
8) Slushie drinks. You didn't think I'd forget this, did you? The dh even bought something called a "Marg-a-rama" for making not only margaritas but pina coladas and even appletinis and slushie lemonade. Sit out on number 3, enjoying numbers 6 and 7 and it's just about a perfect evening.
9) Pedicures. Ok, so I'm dismally behind on this one, usually I make more time for pretty feet in the summer. But i love painting my toenails and wearing sandals.
And number 10......
Reading. On the deck, in the camper, sitting in a lawn chair....some of my fondest memories are of reading in the sunporch of my childhood home. It felt warm and lazy and indulgent. I went through book after book, sometimes one every day. I can't keep up that pace now, though I wish I could. But i have slightly more responsibilities now than I did then. Still, I love the feeling of settling in with a book in the shade.
What are some of your favourite things about summer? Tell me in the comments and I'll draw for a signed cover flat of my latest book, FALLING FOR MR. DARK AND DANGEROUS, and I'll add in some extra goodies!