Pages

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Roxanne Snopek: Books, Books, Books!

Did this past winter seem longer than usual to you? The one good thing about those long grey days is that they’re great for reading. I've read some wonderful books over the past few months and I'd like to share a few with you.

1. MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood. The third in her MaddAddam trilogy, following Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood, this post-apocalyptic tale is seductive, hypnotic, super-creepy and brilliant. After reading about pigoons, a human-pig hybrid, I'll never look at bacon the same way.



2. Her Spy to Have by Paula Altenburg. The first in her Spy Games series, this novel is a tightly-plotted globe-trotting cat-and-mouse game as well as a touching love story and I can't wait for the next installment. 


3. The Color of Destiny by Julianne MacLean. The second in her Color of Heaven series, this was a total palate-cleanser for me, a spiritual and emotional story, not inspirational per se, but definitely inspiring. 


4. In The Waning Light by Loreth Ann White. This romantic suspense-thriller kept me up way too late. I've read several other books by this new-to-me author and I'm now a huge fan. This book is a finalist for the Romance Writers of America RITA award, and well deserved.


5. A Bramble House Christmas by C.J. Carmichael. A wonderful, heartwarming holiday read, this short contemporary romance is also a RITA finalist!


6. Love Me Tender by Susan Fox. Book 5 in her Caribou Crossing series, this made me go back and read the first four. Book 6, Love Somebody Like You, is yet another well-deserving RITA finalist.


Of course, I've read many more books but these stood out for me. Have you got books to recommend? I’d love to hear about favorite reads, recently discovered authors, new-to-you oldie-goldies. Please share!

1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

If you want a bit of a mystery set in the Lowcountry, try Echoes of Mercy by Kim Boykin

denise