Pages

Monday, August 24, 2015

Victoria Purman: The Best Review I've Ever Had


So there’s an author thing. You may or many not have heard of it.

And no, it’s not about how much coffee we need when we’re writing a book (one cup a day for me).

Or about the amount of chocolate it takes to write a book (not admitting to ANYTHING on that one).

And no, it’s not about how hard it is to stare at pictures of gorgeous men for inspiration (you’re right, the only problem with that is that it’s terribly distracting).

It’s the to-read-or-not-to-read thing.

The to-read-or-not-to-read-our-reviews thing.

I read all my reviews. Every single one. I can take it – the good and the bad. The meh and the marvelous.

And why do I do it? Do I have some kind of sado-masochistic streak or something? Nah, it’s nothing like that.

I spend a lot of time in front of my Mac staring out the window and talking to my dog. Oh shoot, that should have said, I spend a lot of time pounding a keyboard and writing books.

And after I’ve thought and written and rewritten and edited and edited again and the book is finally out there in the world, hell yeah I want to know what people think of it!

I really like knowing that I’ve made people laugh or cry or sigh or that I’ve taken them to places they may one day like to visit. (Australia, anyone?) I like to know if readers liked my characters and my stories, if they found their dilemmas real. I love knowing that I made someone’s lady parts tingle for the first time in a long time (yes, someone actually told me this!)

And – yes – I can cop it on the chin when someone says they didn’t like one of my books. As Forrest Gump said, life is like a box of chocolates (See how I brought this back around to chocolate?) Some people like hard centres. Some like fudge. Some like peppermint creams and some like nuts. Some people don’t even like chocolate, although I find this impossible to comprehend.

And all of that’s okay. Maybe I’m a glass half full kinda gal. I know some authors find it very difficult to read their reviews. Some reviewers and readers can be blunt – or more – and that’s hard.

But, you know what? If I didn’t read my reviews I wouldn’t have seen this one for my first book in the Millionaire Malones series, The Millionaire.


This from Sue on Goodreads:

The Millionaire really did it for me! I loved it! Victoria managed to pull me in and make me feel everything from laughter to heart ache to joy for Ellie and Chris. The Millionaire is a great, catchy story that took me on an emotional journey.

And I wouldn’t have discovered this lovely one from Shelagh about The CEO:


Reading Victoria Purman is like snuggling into a warm and familiar blanket ... so comfortable that you feel right at home from the first page.

If I didn’t read my reviews, I would have missed out on hearing how much enjoyment my books have brought to people.

And that is better than all the coffee and chocolate and gorgeous men in the world combined.

What will reviews be like for the third and final in the Millionaire Malones series, The Rebel?


I honestly can’t wait to find out!


1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

great reviews!

Denise