Pages

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Flowers of New York - Kandy Shepherd

Sitting at my desk in front of my computer wearing yoga pants and a cat on my lap, it’s hard to believe just ten days ago I was in New York City. I’ve been from winter to summer and back to winter again in just one week.

Times Square - very busy in July

 It’s a long way to go from Australia for a conference but The Romance Writers of America national convention was worth it. Over two thousand romance writers as well as industry professionals gathered under the one roof—in this case the Marriott Marquis hotel right on Times Square.  It was exhausting and informative and I loved it.



I only had one day free, on the Sunday after the conference ended. I took the opportunity to walk with a friend from Times Square up to Central Park.

This one is so pretty 


In late July with the sun out and flowers everywhere, I marveled at how lovely the city was, with so many beautiful old buildings juxtaposed with streamlined skyscrapers.

I love the bold shapes and colors of this one


I loved all the vibrant potted plant displays I saw in my stroll around Manhattan and took inspiration for my own garden. Trouble is, I never seem to have much luck with these pots myself. I know the idea is you plant a thriller—the main central plant; a low filler to grow around it; and a spiller to flow down the edges. It’ll be spring Down Under before too long and I’m going to try again.

This one doesn't look too difficult to copy!


The heroine of my August release for Harlequin Romance, Hired by the Brooding Billionaire is a horticulturalist working to restore the hero’s overgrown garden—and his damaged heart. I wish I could call on her in real life for some gardening help!

Do you have luck with potted plants or, like me, never seem to get them quite right? Do you have a favorite city you like to visit?  I’d love to know—please share your thoughts with a comment!

Signing at the Romance Writers of America conference


I’m giving away one signed paperback copy of Hired by the Brooding Billionaire. Make a comment to be in the draw. Please include your email address if you want to be included in the draw.




Hired by the Brooding Billionaire is my August 2015 release for Harlequin Romance and is on sale now.

“Beauty and the reclusive billionaire… 
When billionaire Declan Grant decides his estate's enormous garden needs taming, he hires idealistic horticulturalist Shelley Fairhill to take on the challenge. Since losing his wife, Declan has adjusted to a life of self-imposed isolation—he wants Shelley to tackle the weeds, then leave.
But as Shelley gradually restores order and unexpected beauty to his garden, her caring nature also begins to thaw the ice encasing Declan's heart. Can he let Shelley's light in and finally let his second chance at love blossom?”

Kandy Shepherd is an award-winning author of contemporary romance and women’s fiction. She lives on a small farm in the
Blue Mountains near Sydney, Australia, with her family and a menagerie of four-legged friends.


Visit Kandy at her website



Connect with Kandy on Facebook and Twitter





15 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I love the large pots as well as the plants. Great pictures thank you.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Kandy Shepherd said...

They're great pots, aren't they Mary?. So glad you liked the photos!

Laurie G said...

I'm glad you had a fun time in NYC! I'd love to read about horticulturist Shelley and how she deals with plants and Declan! I do not have a green thumb. I have luckily received plant cuttings from two different neighbors, Gladys and Anna. They both have beautiful, huge gardens. I've asked for plants that come up every year and only require minimal work. So far so good! I have flocks, irises, day lilies, tiger lilies, marigolds (I have to save the dried out tops), poppies, snow on the mountain, daisies and hosta plants. My yard looks amazing!

Favorite city WOW I haven't been to a lot of places. Right now it would be Stuart,FL. It has nice beaches and pretty areas to walk and swim.

Kandy Shepherd said...

Wow, Laurie, you say you don't have a green thumb but it looks to me that you are being modest. It sounds like you have a beautiful garden. And to grow all your plants from cuttings is quite an achievement!

Don't forget to include your email if you want to be in the draw for a copy of the book!

jcp said...

No green thumb here.

alysap AT yahoo DOT com

Kandy Shepherd said...

I sometimes think green thumbs must be inherited jcp, you either have one or you don't!

dstoutholcomb said...

I'm pretty good with potted plants

Kandy Shepherd said...

I wish some of that talent would rub off on me, dstoutholcomb!

Liz Fielding said...

That is such a gorgeous cover, Kandy. And thanks for a different perspective on New York!

Moosehog83 said...

If its an outside potted plant then no prob but if it's an indoor potted one then I kill then

Kandy Shepherd said...

It is a lovely cover, isn't it Liz. I'm delighted with it. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Kandy Shepherd said...

That's interesting Diana. I gave up on indoor ones years ago - I felt I was a plant murderer! Also the soil in the pots was too irresistible to my cats!

Laurie G said...

OOPS I forgot my e-mail address yesterday!

johnslake at usa dot com

Cassandra Samuels said...

I have a wild kind of cottage garden where it is survival of the fittest. I have a 50/50 success rate with my veggie patch though. Love picking spinach, chilli, spring onions and parsley from my garden. One day I hope to make it to the US RWA Conference but until then I hope to see you at the Aussie one.

Kandy Shepherd said...

How lovely to see you here, Cassandra! Your garden sounds lovely - a cottage garden is my favourite. I love having a veggie garden, nothing beats home grown produce. The American conference is really quite an experience. But I love the Australian one too.Looking forward to catching up with you in Melbourne!