Pages

Monday, September 01, 2014

When is a Secret Baby Story Not a Secret Baby Story? Annie West

When it's not a secret, of course!

 Welcome to the world of Princess Marisa of Bengaria whose unexpected pregnancy to an almost-stranger has to be one of the worst-kept secrets in the world. After a one-night stand that left her hurt and embittered, she learns of her unplanned pregnancy at the very same time as does Damaso Pires, the man who walked out on her just a month before. There's no private time for digesting the news and how it's going to affect her. And Damaso is determined to be part of his child's life, even if it means sharing his world with Marisa, a woman who unsettled him so much he had to walk away from her once rather than deal with the complications she created in his neatly organised life. What does a tycoon do when he wants something? He takes immediate action to get it, in this case, demanding marriage to the woman carrying his child. And just to put the pressure on even more, the paparazzi discovers the news and broadcasts it to the world. Soon Marisa's royal relatives try to step in and force her to hush up the scandal. What's a woman to do?
 
I loved writing this book to find out exactly that: what will Marisa do and how will Damaso react?
 
I'd originally thought this might be a secret baby story, when I pictured this volatile pair having a brief but passionate affair at a luxury jungle hideaway for the ultra wealthy. But it didn't turn out like that as Marisa and Damao took control and proceeded to live out their dramatic story in front of the world's press, even while keeping their most precious secrets hidden not just from the press but from each other.
 
So instead of being a secret baby book this one is an oh-so-public pregnancy and scandal story. It's about two people who've learned never to trust and as a result carry the immense weight of emotional burdens both in public and in private. I loved watching them find their happy ever after.
 
When opposites attract!
 
The sexy North American cover
Damaso Pires should have known better than to get involved with Marisa—the scandalous princess of Bengaria! Yet soon he sees her true beauty and flawless virtue, which touches a place in him he thought ruthlessly destroyed by his childhood on the streets of Brazil.

But their brief affair becomes permanent when Marisa reveals she’s pregnant.

Damaso knows the sting of illegitimacy and, having fought tooth and nail to claw his way up to the dizzying heights of international success and financial infamy, he won’t let his child slip from his grasp. There’s only one way to claim his heir, and that’s marriage!

To snaffle a copy of DAMASO CLAIMS HIS HEIR try your favourite bookstore. Here are a couple of links to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, the Book Depository and Harlequin. To read more detail Behind the Book, or to find out about Annie's other stories, visit her website.

Do you have any stories to share on the best/worst way to share the news of a pregnancy? What would be your worst nightmare or your idea of the perfect way to break such news?

Annie will give away a signed copy of DAMASO CLAIMS HIS HEIR to one person who leaves a comment.

16 comments:

Mary Preston said...

DAMASO CLAIMS HIS HEIR sounds like a fabulous read. (I love his name.)

There is ALWAYS someone in our family who is pregnant. So many of us and of course the family grows with each generation. Usually person 1 says: "Guess what?" and Person 2 says: " You're pregnant!!" That seems to be the standard way of letting everyone know initially.

I would hate the news to be broken in a crass, undignified manner. The mind boggles & I really don't even want to go there.

Annie West said...

Hi Mary,

Ah, that sounds familiar. I remember the 'Guess What?' question and the usual response. Such a joyful time!

Franca Poli said...

Very nice this excerpt from the book, I can not wait to read it

Annie West said...

Hi Franca!

I'm glad you like the sound of the book. I had such a lovely time with Damaso and Marisa. I hope you do too.

Laney4 said...

For once, I don't have an answer for your question. I remember way back in the day when *I* was pregnant, though. I was "two days" pregnant and knew it then. I felt different and my urine was different. I called the doctor's office a few weeks later and was told I had to wait until there was "proof" in another week or so before they'd do the test (back in the day before over-the-counter tests). Sure enough, I had conceived exactly when I said. I knew within a week of conceiving our second child two years later too....

Annie West said...

Hi Laney, wow, that was early for you to know the change, but then I think sometimes we forget or doubt how well we know our own bodies! I imagine it was hard keeping the news to yourself till you had medical confirmation.

Annie West said...

Just a note to say that I won't be able to visit here again till after the next blog post goes up. Don't worry, I will be back to leave comments and draw a winner for a signed copy of 'Damaso Claims His Heir'. I'll be back later today Australian time, (early hours of the morning US time).

Anonymous said...

Secret Baby is one of my favorite romantic tropes. What I loved most about this story is the way the characters refused to cooperate. They're passionate, they're public and of course the paparazzi gets involved! What a hoot! Must read!

dstoutholcomb said...

I gave my husband a frame that said "Dad."

erin said...

Never had the need to break the news but if I did, I think I'd just go ahead and blurt it out ;) thanks for sharing!

Susanne Bellamy said...

My husband guessed! He's a clever man and put 2+2 together!
Love this story (and I have my copy, thank you! :D )

Annie West said...

Hi Susanne,
He sounds like a very clever man. Actually I wonder how many men would have any notion of 'secret baby' if they weren't married to romance readers.
So glad you loved the book! Thanks for letting me know.

Annie West said...

Hi there. How great that I've struck on one of your faves, and that the other elements work for you too. Yes, one of the things that appealed in writing it was that it was all in the public arena. Hope you enjoy it.

Annie West said...

Wow! That would do the trick. I bet he was thrilled.

Annie West said...

Hi Erin,
There's something to be said for blurting. It's such big news it's hard not to.

Annie West said...

Hi everyone. Thanks for sharing the excitement of my new release.

I've just done a random draw of the names of people who commented. The winner of my signed book is dstoutholcomb! CONGRATULATIONS! If you email me at annie(at)annie-west(dot)com with your postal address I'll send you Damaso and Marisa's story.