Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Midsummer Past-times

Isle of Palms SC

Well, we're into the thick of summer now and in southern NJ where I live I do mean thick -- the heat and humidity can be overwhelming! Temps reach into the 90s and so does the humidity levels. Most of us seek relief in air-conditioned places or pools or the sacred place that we South Jerseyans call 'the shore'. 

(And please do not mistake the REAL Jersey shore for that mess you see on MTV!)

I'm fortunate to live about 45 minutes from some of the best beaches, so day-trips are a favorite past-time -- both when I was a kid and when my kids were little. And some of my favorite vacations were spending a week down there, enjoying the sand and water during the day and then going on the boardwalk at night to play arcade games or miniature golf. 

For me though, I lived in anticipation of true joy -- sitting on the beach with something cold to drink and a book to read. I would slather on the sunscreen, put on the big sunglasses (sadly, now prescription ones! LOL!) and read away. My hubby and I had an agreement that I would get some non-supervisory time on the beach when we went with the boys. 

And the first thing planned and packed was my ample supply of books! 

My boys grew up knowing that if Mom began making a pile of books (and magazines), there was a trip coming. During the heyday of my reading (aka before I began writing romance novels), I would take no fewer than 10 books and 10 magazines for a week-long trip that would include reading time. 

Maui - 2012
 The boys have grown now and we haven't had a shore  vacation in a while, but I was lucky enough to go to Hawaii in 2012 and my goal was a simple one -- to read on a different beach every day of the trip. And I did, since there is beautiful beach after beautiful beach all around the islands. Can you say: ahhhhhhhhhh-loha!?                                                                                                                 So, what kind of summer pasttimes do you look forward to each year? How has your summer been so far this year? What are your plans for the rest of it? No matter what it is, I hope you have time for some reading! 


Speaking of summer activities - I'll be heading off to the Romance Writers of America's Annual Conference in San Antonio TX next week. If you're in the area, I hope you'll come to the Marriott Rivercenter on 7/23 at 5:30pm for the open-to-the-public Book Signing for Literacy party. There will be over 500 romance authors signing and raising money for Literacy projects both locally and nationally. I'll be signing my current book - YIELD TO THE HIGHLANDER! And visit my website or FB page for lots more info about my upcoming books and events! 
Happy Summer everyone! 

3 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

I've been to the Jersey Shore! Love Cape May! I usually hit the beaches in Delaware or OC, MD--I was
raised in N.DE and now live in MD.

Terri Brisbin said...

Cape May is a special place -- love the Victorian feel of it! I've been through Ocean City MD but not on the beaches.... Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

In addition, while girls search for your Burberry bags along with luggage that they not simply seek out chanel replica popular variations and also count on longevity along with product good quality. There are lots of methods of luggage offered that will caters to distinct requires involving distinct buyers. You will note a huge various hublot replica watches your neck luggage which have been a vintage model involving precisely what Burberry turns out to be. Also your structure addresses sizes regarding addressing your current outstanding tastes involving manner. There are many styles involving louis vuitton replica these kind of neck luggage. Normally, your sizing is determined by the contour in the neck handbag. You'll find more substantial luggage and also scaled-down luggage. Every single handbag no matter whether major as well as smaller, straightforward as well as stylized will give you cartier replica over searching, your Burberry good quality along with appearance. Your neck luggage inside Burberry Totes types are generally commonly needed since these kind of give you a female your laid-back, popular along with louis vuitton replica functional search, simplicity of holding your ex goods plus the longevity involving holding on this specific particular part pertaining to extended.