Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Alexandra Ivy: Not Just A Fad

Recently I was speaking at a local school about the importance of books and the emerging technology of e-books.  During the presentation I was asked by a teenager why I wanted to write about vampires.  The words were polite but the meaning was clear…why would an old lady (I hastily add that I’m not yet in my dotage) be interested in the paranormal world?  At first I was stumped.  Why wouldn’t I write about vampires?  Then I realized that she didn’t have a clue that vampires and zombies and things that go bump in the night have been around since cavemen sat around the fire to tell ghost stories.

Personally I think that those of us who are slipping and sliding toward middle age were privileged to have spent our childhood inundated with the most wonderful plethora of horror, Sci-Fi, and campy craziness.   I fell in love with the paranormal when I was a very young girl.  I never missed an episode of Dark Shadows and my Saturday afternoons were devoted to Sci-Fi flicks that were as cheesy as they were fun.    How could you not love Night of the Lepus?  Killer bunnies…always a classic.   Even my Saturday morning cartoons were devoted to Scooby Doo chasing bad-guys disguised as ghosts. 

And, of course, there were writers who were offering fabulous stories long before the current books were hitting the shelves.  I read a tattered copy of the Hobbit when I was in sixth grade and was fascinated by the glimpse into a land of fantasy.  Suddenly there were magical worlds that offered escape from reality and I became a permanent fixture in our local library, consuming the latest books as soon as they hit the shelves.  And there was such a vast selection.  Traditional horror from Stephen King, fantasy from David Eddings, and Sci Fi from Stephen R. Donaldson, as well as the gothic romances of Victoria Holt that made me shiver in delight. 

All of these influences have impacted my taste in reading as well as my love for writing.  My latest book, Devoured by Darkness, is the seventh in the Guardian of Eternity series.  The series that started with When Darkness Comes, is a combination of my love for dark, sexy vampires who are willing to sacrifice their lives to protect those they love , daring adventure, and quirky fantasy.   

And while the writers of today are putting their own unique twist on the paranormal world, from steampunk to urban fantasy, they’re building on a legacy handed down by previous authors that must be nurtured and honored and passed on to the next  generation with a reminder of those who came before us.


To celebrate all the great writers who came before me, I’m giving away a digital copy of Born in Blood (kindle or nook)  Just tell me your favorite writer!!

20 comments:

davesmsperfect said...

A tie between Sarra Cannon & Kimberly Stedronsky.

Unknown said...

I have many favorite writers. My most favorite to date is still Debbie Macomber though. Perhaps because she was one of the first few authors I read when I first starting reading romance.

Victoria said...

Unfair question for me to answer as I have many favorites, you included. Since Kelley Armstrong was my first PRN read she's included along with Larissa Ion and Joan Swan. I could go on and on but won't ;).

Unknown said...

Alexandra ivy and chloe neill.

Unknown said...

Favorite author of all time is Julie Garwood. Her book "Prince Charming" was the first alt book I read. The story just captured me from the beginning and I couldn't put it down. There I was under my blanket with a flashlight reading until my eyes burned. I have every book from her collection and every so often I go back and go in a familiar adventure with new details that capture my attention.

Laura D. said...

I have so many but I guess the author who introduced me to the genre was JR. Ward.

amethyst286 said...

Very tough question to answer. I have several favorites. The first three authors to introduce me were J.R. Ward, Larissa Ione, and Lara Adrian.

erin said...

Thanks for such a great post and congrats to Alexandra on the new release! Ummm... I'd have to go with Edgar Allan Poe, Ann McCaffery, and J.R.R. Tolkien. It was them that got me hooked into the paranormal as a kid :)

Unknown said...

I'ce read many great authors but so far my favorite would be Sherrilyn Kenyon

Angela (Angel's Book Nook) said...

Oh my its so hard to just choose one. I have several favorite authors that I can narrow it down to my top three which are Ilona Andrews, Jeaniene Frost, & J.R. Ward.

Renee said...

Ok, I'll admit I started as a teenager with Victoria Holt and used to sneak downstairs on Saturday night to watch Dark Shadows after my parents went to bed. (They still don't know.) As a child, I adored Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators reading everyone I could get my hands on while scared to death. Let's face it; we are a culture of supernatural lovers from back in time. I still love a good Agatha Christie though.

Mary Preston said...

I have a LOT of favorites, but right now it would have to be a toss up between George RR Martin, Bill Bryson, Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman.

Laurie G said...

Karen Hawkins

CrystalGB said...

Nalini Singh is at the top of my list but I love a lot of authors' books.

Anita H. said...

Lots of great writers but for me, it's Gena Showalter

Ada said...

I would say for me, it's Pamela Palmer, Gena Showalter and Lora Leigh

Unknown said...

Ilona andrews (at this moment, changes with each new world i find)

Unknown said...

I have several Alexandra Ivy, Lara Adrian, Tessa Dawn and Laura Wright are amongst the top 10 of my must read authors.

jmcgaugh said...

That's a tough one and very close. I think I can narrow it down to Ilona Andrew, Jeaniene Frost, Larissa Ione, and Karen Moning.
jmcgaugh (at) semo (dot) edu

Linda Henderson said...

Well I'll have to name a few, Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, Christine Feehan, Susan Mallery, Jill Shalvis, Jane Porter, Vicki Lewis Thompson, Cassandra Clare, and Helen Bianchin just to name a few.