Part of what keeps me reading a book is the chemistry between its characters. If there’s not some kind of sparkage—romantic or otherwise—then I tend to get board. We all have our favorites. Those swoony matches that keep us sighing. I thought I’d share a few of my faves.
Here they are in no particular order.
1. Clayton Danvers and Elena Michaels—Bitten by Kelly Armstrong. Some of you might be aware of my Clayton Danvers fetish. Seriously. This guy is my fave fictional male. He’s strong and protective and doesn’t take no for an answer. His push/pull relationship with Elena creates the kind of spark that sends chills up and down your spine. Despite—or maybe because of—the fact that they’re just a little dysfunctional.
2. Henry DeTamble and Clare Abshire—The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. These two had an epic kind of love that literally spanned a lifetime. I know some people find the relationship between them a little depressing since, during the span of her life, Clare is always waiting for him, but there was just something about these two that made me fall in love.
3. Niko and Cal Leandros—Nightlife but Rob Thurman. Okay. So not a couple in the kissy sense, but still, one of my fave parings. Niko and Cal are brothers who battle all the nasty things that go bump in the night. These two play off one another so perfectly. I dare you not to see sparks!
4. Suze Simon and Jesse—the Mediator Series by Meg Cabot. Suze’s take life head on attitude verses Jesse’s old fashioned thinking, in addition to the fact that, well, he was dead, made this couple so much fun to read.
Number 5 is probably going to get some flame, but...
5. Buffy and…Spike—Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I know. I know. WTF, right? What about Angel? Angel irritated me. I’m all for dark and brooding, but dude. Come on. There was just so much more to Spike. More personality. More chemistry. More hotness…
Not convinced? Rest In Peace
What about you guys? Who’s your fave fictional couple (romantic or other)?